Jump to content
Elwen

I can't seem to make Airdrop work (Mac->iPad)

Recommended Posts

I purchased iPad version after being satisfied with Mac version.

I don't want to use the cloud option, but Airdrop does not seem to work. I am sending the *.afdesign file and the only option that I see on iPad is "Import from Photos"

I tried 800Mb but also smaller file, but neither appeared.

What I am doing wrong? If the Airdrop option will not work, I will probably need to return the app.

Thank you for your help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Elwen said:

I purchased iPad version after being satisfied with Mac version.

I don't want to use the cloud option, but Airdrop does not seem to work. I am sending the *.afdesign file and the only option that I see on iPad is "Import from Photos"

I tried 800Mb but also smaller file, but neither appeared.

What I am doing wrong? If the Airdrop option will not work, I will probably need to return the app.

Thank you for your help!

Yes it works fine, select the file on your Mac right click and select share then airdrop, assuming you have airdrop enabled on your iPad you should see a message like this appear, select the app and it will open it directly. You don’t need to do anything on the photos app apart from not having another document already open.

Edit: In this example I was using photos but it is exactly the same with designer

Edit2: The pop up window does not appear for an afdesign file but instead opened directly in Designer on the iPad.

8DE9040E-EF3C-45F2-9897-432E53FE89E6.png


Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7 on MACOS Catalina Beta, Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7 on iPad Pro 9.7" iPadOS 13 beta, Affinity Photo 1.7 on Windows 10

https://www.facebook.com/groups/affinityforipad/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! When the app was opened and I Airdropped the file, it opened right in. 

I wonder where are all the files I have successfully Airdropped without having Designer app opened on the iPad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only downside is that any bigger files just crashes the app as soon as it is transferred. It opens for a second and then it crashes. (I am using iPad Pro 12.9 year 2018)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@Elwen I also use Airdrop, just like your description.  I’ve had some mixed results (I am using iPad Pro 11” bought April 2019, latest iOS).

Airdrop from iPad to Mac places the airdropped files into the Downloads folder.  I can now do this consistently after mixed results when I first tried it (before I got AD for Mac).

This morning Airdrop from Mac to iPad opened only one of a batch of Airdropped images in AD; no idea where the others went.  I had to Airdrop them one at a time.

I have Airdropped .afdesign, .jpg and .png to Mac, only .afdesign to iPad.

I have never seen the dialog that Paul Muddit posted; last time I did this, the Airdropped opened in AD immediately.  I don’t recall ever seeing any dialog on the iPad about incoming Airdrops.  I’ll do another Airdrop and see what happens.

The Airdrop process sometimes fails to transmit at all.  I got AD for Mac about 10 days ago, and I’m convinced that things improved after I installed it (I have no facts to support this belief).  I have successfully Airdropped some fairly large files (up to 266MB), none as large as yours.

Regards

Edited by LionelD
Clarification

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LionelD said:

@Elwen I also use Airdrop, just like your description.  I’ve had some mixed results (I am using iPad Pro 11” bought April 2019, latest iOS).

Airdrop from iPad to Mac places the airdropped files into the Downloads folder.  I can now do this consistently after mixed results when I first tried it (before I got AD for Mac).

This morning Airdrop from Mac to iPad opened only one of a batch of Airdropped images in AD; no idea where the others went.  I had to Airdrop them one at a time.

I have Airdropped .afdesign, .jpg and .png to Mac, only .afdesign to iPad.

I have never seen the dialog that Paul Muddit posted; last time I did this, the Airdropped opened in AD immediately.  I don’t recall ever seeing any dialog on the iPad about incoming Airdrops.  I’ll do another Airdrop and see what happens.

The Airdrop process sometimes fails to transmit at all.  I got AD for Mac about 10 days ago, and I’m convinced that things improved after I installed it (I have no facts to support this belief).  I have successfully Airdropped some fairly large files (up to 266MB), none as large as yours.

Regards

The dialogue box appears if there is more than one possible app that could receive the file. To test this out, airdrop a pdf file from Mac to iPad and on my iPad at least there is a huge dialogue box. My only concern is why IOS Files app does not appear for afdesign files but does for other file extensions.

Personally I prefer the iCloud method instead.


Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7 on MACOS Catalina Beta, Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7 on iPad Pro 9.7" iPadOS 13 beta, Affinity Photo 1.7 on Windows 10

https://www.facebook.com/groups/affinityforipad/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Paul Mudditt  Well, you taught me something again, thanks.

I hope that many of these tribulations will go away when iPadOS gets here.  I’d happily use a thumb drive.  I may also have to go to an Apple store to find out how iCloud really works.

Regards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, LionelD said:

@Paul Mudditt  Well, you taught me something again, thanks.

I hope that many of these tribulations will go away when iPadOS gets here.  I’d happily use a thumb drive.  I may also have to go to an Apple store to find out how iCloud really works.

Regards

Don’t think it’s that difficult, use Finder on Mac and you will see iCloud folder, on IOS Files you see the same folder which is kept in sync on all devices. In use just create sub-folders and place your files on one platform and they are very quickly available on all other platforms. Obviously large files will appear as thumbnails and won’t download from the cloud until you access them. Best way to think of it is like a network drive that all devices can read and write too. 


Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7 on MACOS Catalina Beta, Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7 on iPad Pro 9.7" iPadOS 13 beta, Affinity Photo 1.7 on Windows 10

https://www.facebook.com/groups/affinityforipad/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×