You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AFP beta 1.7.1.138 crashes

When I attempt to run the beta for the first time after installing it it crashed.  I had gotten past Little Snitch's prompts to access external sites and I believe I was in the process of giving Bitdefender permission to let the beta modify some files when it disappeared.  When I reopened it, I dragged and dropped an .afphoto that I created in 1.7 into it, and that was sufficient to crash it.  The third attempt to open the same file in the beta succeeded.  I can confirm that the Gamut Check is working.

Here are the crash logs:  AFP 1.7.1.138 crash.zip

Richard Liu

MacBook Pro 16" 2021 M1 Max | macOS 12.3.1 | BenQ SW271 | Affinity Photo 1.10.5

OK, Andy, thanks.  Does that mean that it could reoccur until the next build?  Presumably, the fix would be in the update that you're aiming to release on June 19, or am I "jumping the gun" here?

Richard Liu

• Staff
1 hour ago, Richard Liu said:

Presumably, the fix would be in the update that you're aiming to release on June 19,

Yes, If it can be fixed quickly it will be included in a 1.7.1.xx release build on 19h June. Also yes it might recur (see below) until the next build, (unless you can update your OS ;) )

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

5 hours ago, Andy Somerfield said:

This is an Intel GPU driver issue on macOS 10.13.6 - Apple fixed it in 10.14.

Suggestion: create a list of (GPU, macOS version) combos known to have issues and automatically disable compute acceleration on those specific GPUs when they are in the list?

Obviously, fixing the crash and making them compatible is even better, but in cases where that is not feasible within the time of a release, or where it is simply not possible to get it working with the available drivers, this might save users some frustration...

@fde101,

I'm definitely not in favor of that.  @Andy Somerfield seems to imply that there is a fix for the issue, so, until then, as long as I have some idea what operations are likely to trigger it, I'd prefer to decide for myself when to risk using Metal and when not.

I probably should upgrade to 10.14, but Apple seems to have a reputation with some purveyors of monitor calibration software for fixing some issues and creating some new ones that wreak havoc with their products, and so I have been reluctant to upgrade major versions of macOS until they've had time to deal with such surprises.

Richard Liu

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.