You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo (1.7.0) gets stuck when trying to export a PDF

I discovered the newly updated version of Affinity Photo today, when trying to export a PDF file for the printers.  The program gets stuck every time I click on 'save' and I have to force quit.  Hasn't happened to me before, perhaps a bug in the new release?  Any help gratefully received!!  Thanks so much!

I was having exactly the same issue, unable to save exported files into 'folders' after recent update of Affinity Photo and Affinity Design to version 1.7.0. Before a file could be saved (and I tried exporting file in various formats PDF, Tiff, PNG etc) message comes up asking 'Allow access to the folder to export multiple files' clicking on button option 'confirm' made no difference, file could not be saved in any folder on HD or on memory stick or separate hard drive. After trying a few things (resetting Apple permissions etc), I realised it was how I was trying to save the file.

In Affinity Photo - Area: (changed 'whole document' to) 'Selection with Background' and was able to save in various file formats. 

In Affinity Designer - Area (changed 'whole document' to) 'Page 1' and was able to save it. 

In Affinity Designer - Area ( 'whole document' or 'Page 1') - ticked 'Don't export layers hidden by Export persona' - and was able to save may file to the selected folder.

I hope this helps other users.

Thank you Affinity, I am so very pleased with the Apps, finding them brilliant for web and graphic design (big improvement compared to Adobe software) .

• Staff

Hi terrerouge :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble, could you please confirm, are you using Mac or Windows?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for that, we've recently released a Mac beta which should address these issues, you can find this below!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

I'm sorry to hear this, could you please provide a copy of an .afdesign file that isn't exporting for you?

We don't yet have a Designer beta, but we're working on it :) 

Please note -

Many thanks!

Hello. I´m using Affinity Designer version 1.70 for MAC too.
I also have a problem exporting as pdf.
After updating to the new version I can't export a pdf anymore.
The program always hangs at the file-location selection mask.
If I open the file with the command "Edit in Affinity Photo", I can export there.
I hope for a quick solution to this problem.

Best regards

• Staff

Thanks for letting us know, our QA team are aware of the following issues and we're working to replicate and log these bugs:

Application freezing on save - @terrerouge Could you please confirm which version of MacOS you're running?

'Allow access to the folder to export multiple files' - @am-orangebox We're aware this dialogue isn't functioning correctly on High Sierra and we're working to fix it.

Crash/hang on export - @Helmet We've had a few reports of this and we're looking to find a recipe that can replicate it. What version of MacOS are you running? Does this happen on any PDF (even a new document with a singular quick shape on?)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for that, I'll pass this through to the QA agent assigned to this issue :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

3 hours ago, terrerouge said:

I'm on Mac - OS High Sierra

After the most recent update it still hangs on PDF export.

Not that it helps solve your issue but I also use High Sierra & I get no hangs exporting to PDF. Tested with the 1.7.1 update & all 7 built-in presets.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7