You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

bugs ? black overprint

@.: NICKY G. :.

I experience the same problem. For a print designer, this undermines confidence in the Affinity suite. 

Additionally, in general, Serif need to rethink and improve how color swatches are defined and managed for print designers. The current user experience is clumsy, and frustrating. Please take a cue from Adobe on this one. 

Just now, MikeW said:

I don't have APub reinstalled yet. But if I recall, only the PDF/X types will honor the black overprint.

you're right!
PDF / X works overprinting.

But to make sure that shadows, transparencies etc. don't rasterize what you need to use PDF / X4?

I used PDF 1.6 / 1.7 compatibility in ADOBE and everything worked fine-

29 minutes ago, Mark Oehlschlager said:

@.: NICKY G. :.

I experience the same problem. For a print designer, this undermines confidence in the Affinity suite. 

Additionally, in general, Serif need to rethink and improve how color swatches are defined and managed for print designers. The current user experience is clumsy, and frustrating. Please take a cue from Adobe on this one. 

I agree with you 100%.
A lot of things in AD work great, better a lot better than Ai. But many things and I talk about basic things, they would be improved and revised. Maybe they work but they have a strange logic.

1. Overprint
2. Nero does not overprint by default
3. Color Samples that you can't select more than one, so if I want to convert 50 colors like global color or overprint I have to do them one by one.
4. default global colors
5. viewing of separate color channels and overprinting and spot colors
6. the possibility to export in different color profiles "Maintaining numerical values". Now if I believe a document in fogra39 and I wanted to export a PDF to fogra27, it changes all the numerical values of the colors .. and it's not good!

11 minutes ago, .: NICKY G. :. said:

you're right!
PDF / X works overprinting.

But to make sure that shadows, transparencies etc. don't rasterize what you need to use PDF / X4?

I used PDF 1.6 / 1.7 compatibility in ADOBE and everything worked fine-

Yes as regards pdf/x-4 and most transparency types. But shadows, for instance, are bitmap effects and will always be raster in a pdf.

6 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Sì per quanto riguarda pdf / x-4 e la maggior parte dei tipi di trasparenza. Ma le ombre, ad esempio, sono effetti bitmap e saranno sempre raster in un pdf.

I would not be wrong but in Adobe even the shadows remain vector!

13 minutes ago, MikeW said:

No they don't. At least I've never seen an ID or AI file produce a pdf with vector shadows using their effects panels.

OK I am confused.
I am confused about the fact of the transparency conversion that in pdf / x 2003 the shadow / transparency areas were rasterized as an image.

3 minutes ago, .: NICKY G. :. said:

OK I am confused.
I am confused about the fact of the transparency conversion that in pdf / x 2003 the shadow / transparency areas were rasterized as an image.

Transparency is not allowed in PDF/X3. Only PDF/X-4 can keep transparency in the PDF/X standards.

Any Acrobat Level above 1.4 ought to keep transparency live. But that does not apply to drop shadows applied via an Effects panel nor "feathering."

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.