Hi,

as I am not a native English speaker I apologize upfront for spelling mistakes and bad grammar.

Yesterday I downloaded the Beta of Publisher which is Version 1.7.0.305 for MacOS. I then placed a pdf to use some of the included elements. Now I can not save the publisher file, only export to the several options publisher has. Because I might change something in the document later on that is a bummer. I guess I am currently working on the imported pdf. Is there a way to toggle some kind of setting to save my work? As I am new to layout in general and worked with inDesign only a hand full of times before, I need your help. 

Currently there are two tabs in publisher, one unknown which I can save and one embedded, which I can not save and in which I (probably mistakenly) did all of my changes. The changes happen to be done in the unknown tab as well, but objects are not editable as there are only the master layer and the one layer with the pdfs name on top.

I hope you can help me, big thanks in advance!

Best Wishes

Tobias 

2 hours ago, TobiasPrt said:

got it - mods can close

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @TobiasPrt. :)

Moderators don’t usually close a thread unless there’s a good reason to disallow further posts. Since this thread is still open, you might like to take the opportunity to help future visitors to the thread by posting a brief description of how you solved the problem.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 • Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.0.135 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.9 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

9 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Since this thread is still open, you might like to take the opportunity to help future visitors to the thread by posting a brief description of how you solved the problem.

Answer:

The main file will export and can be saved as an afpub file
The embedded file that opens in a new tab can be exported but cannot be saved as an afpub file.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Win10(1809)Home / Photo / Designer / Publisher & latest (beta) versions

12 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @TobiasPrt. :)

Moderators don’t usually close a thread unless there’s a good reason to disallow further posts. Since this thread is still open, you might like to take the opportunity to help future visitors to the thread by posting a brief description of how you solved the problem.

Thank you!

For me the solution was as simple as to copy the layers from the embedded file into the main file. After that I could save as an afpub file and edit further on.

Also, thank you @haakoo for clarifying the difference! :)

12 hours ago, TobiasPrt said:

For me the solution was as simple as to copy the layers from the embedded file into the main file. After that I could save as an afpub file and edit further on

If you had simply closed the tab for the embedded document, the changes you had made during your editing would have been available in the main document tab.

No need to copy any layers.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.399 Beta