You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Snapshots in History?

One of the key features in Photoshop is a history snapshot, so you can quickly compare versions.

I found the history panel on Publisher, but couldn't find the "take snapshot" button. Where can I find that and how do I turn it on?

thanks!

Photoshop is a photo editing application and Publisher a DTP application - two different beasts. It's better to compare like against like rather than apples and Tow Trucks. Adobe InDesign not only doesn't have a snapshot option but doesn't have a History panel either and these two applications are normally compared against each other. I'd guess that a snapshot option for a DTP application is a lot more complicated to implement than in a photo editing app. It's also worth bearing in mind that Indesign currently costs £238 per year as an individual app compared to the likely £48.99 (or whatever the pricing for each Affinity app is at Publisher launch) for the release version of Publisher. I don't expect it to compare 100% with Indesign yet but already it has features that Indesign doesn't and runs so much faster.

On 4/26/2019 at 4:40 AM, Aammppaa said:

Publisher (in common with Photo and Designer 1.7) supports a branching history, that can be saved with the file, and can be used to some degree like snapshots.

How would you do these snapshot style actions?

Or is there a better way to quickly compare design variants?

The attached file has history saved.

If you look in the first step of the History Panel you will see the Branching History icon.

Click this to toggle to the alternative history of this document.

You can switch back and forth and continue to work on both branches.

Indeed you can start other branches from any point in the history.

I'd imagine this could get pretty confusing with too many paths to choose from, and the file size may be come excessively large since you are recording every variation, but it does work in lieu of Snapshots.

Affinity Branching History.afpub

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Thank you.

So a better way would probably be to save versions as different documents? At least at this stage of a 3-page eMagazine the file sizes are small.

I like to explore ideas without holding back and want to be free to remove anything without later missing it.