You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Okay, So I have a TON of images that are all RGB, and quite a bit of them need to be converted over to being CMYK and I have NO IDEA where to start. I'm thinking of using and eventually purchasing Affinity Publisher (I love the Affinity products, so far I own all of them).

Images need to be converted to CMYK only for press and then you use CMYK profile that press house supplies or recommends. Profile is set in Preferences, and conversion command is Document>Convert Format (that is in new beta, older 1,6x it may be a bit different. Serif changed that to less Photoshop-like and maybe more accurate version).

If there are A LOT of images, maybe a batch process can be devised. (Personally I would just use LinkOptimizer with InDesign, but that is different software..) Ideally you should also resample and sharpen images to fit the final printing purpose.

30 minutes ago, Fixx said:

Document>Convert Format (that is in new beta, older 1,6x it may be a bit different. Serif changed that to less Photoshop-like and maybe more accurate version)

Oh so you're talking about doing it inside of publisher itself. I was more thinking of doing it in Affinity Designer and having a dedicated folder for CMYK versions, possibly for working with Linked images. Would it be the same workflow in ADesigner?

I'm thinking this book will probably be something like 150 pages, teaching curvilinear perspective. 

As far as color profiles... wow... that sounds like a catch 22. If you want to get published, you have to have a finished manuscript. But if you have one, you'll have to rework the entire manuscript, almost starting from scratch. So that pretty much means you need to go self publishing. I have an audience of 1,500+ people and it's projected to grow to 10,000 by January of 2021... But each self publishing house has different page layout designs. 

It's hard to know where to even get started. I have this really cool beta program, but I have no idea where to even start. And now I even have to worry about color profiles. Is that something like a long list of CMYK color swatches that will print well with their printers?

If your plan is to Embed or Link them into another document that will have a CMYK profile, I thought that the conversion would be handled automatically. If I'm right about that, you can just leave them in RGB and not worry about it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

23 hours ago, orphanlast said:

Oh so you're talking about doing it inside of publisher itself.

No, I was talking about doing it in Affinity Photo.

17 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If your plan is to Embed or Link them into another document that will have a CMYK profile, I thought that the conversion would be handled automatically

I quite sure just placing image to Publisher (if that is what you are using) does not make image to adopt Publishers profile but keeps original. Instead you use PDF export preset that converts to CMYK (and uses right colour profile). That is the more modern way of doing colour seps, true, just keep images RGB (there still should be right amount of unsharp mask filter applied). Just be aware that it is also possible to export PDF that keeps original RGB.