As a user I like to define symbols and then alter the text of the instances.
This would vastely improve the reusability of symbols.

(See Adobe XD, Gravit Designer)

1. Type some text
  2. Go to the symbols panel
  3. Click Create 
  4. Drag a few symbols onto the workspace
  5. Edit text, all symbols change

Screen-Shot-2019-03-07-at-17-17-41.png

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Live 19th June 2019

Posted (edited)

Okay, sorry. I probably didn't phrase my feedback correctly.

I would like to type a unique text for each symbol instance.
The key issue here is that all symbols will share the same text content. 

Here's an example from Adobe XD:

1*sYHPfxfZuhA-S-WSO3qm_Q.gif

So each of the symbol instance can have it unique text content, but you can also overwrite the changes in the master symbol.

Edited by Ulaxes

You can disable sync in the symbols panel to change individual symbols' text, but there's no way to propagate it to other symbols after that, or to re-sync. I would like to see those options come to Affinity.

Complete Affinity suite; Mac 10.9; kbd & mouse; casual user since 2014.

I get ya, have a symbol and disable sync on any element within that symbol, so disable sync on the text but everything else remains in sync.

At the moment you can't expand the symbol within the symbol panel to edit in this way but I think the symbol feature needs a major rework to put it on top.

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Live 19th June 2019

@firstdefence thanks for the advice, good to know you can do this.

Yeah, I'd love to see Affinity Designer improve the symbol feature and get it on par with the other top design tools.