You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exporting Print Ready PDF Documents with Bleed (WHITE BORDER?)

I have created a document in Affinity Designer and sent it to a printing company who have replied and said it is not in the correct format. 

It is an A5 document and as per their guidelines I created a 3mm bleed. I have exported it (and clicked 'More' and 'Include Bleed) but when I export it as a PDF it has a white border around it.

I have scoured these forums for answers, I have tried exporting it about 10 times now using different settings- with and without printers markers, as a preset 'PDF for print' to name a few. I even created a slightly larger document (a few cm bigger than A5) to see if that worked! 

I just need the background colour to go all the way to the edge of the PDF and not have a white border!

The company won't print it until I send it without this so I need to sort this out as soon as I can! :o

• 4 weeks later...

I'm using AD 1.6.1, and I think I'm experiencing something similar. I created a 1/8 inch bleed for my business card and have included bleed as well as print registration marks in the PDF export dialog, but what I get is the following...

artboard-top-edge.thumb.png.d6e6686eec8a2002049a0b2d221eee38.png

No part of the image appears beyond the edge of the card. I don't do much print work, so perhaps I'm misunderstanding how bleeds work?

There is a similar post here: 

I think the problem is creating a bleed after or during the designing of a document, if you create a document of the same size and create bleeds first, then copy and paste the contents of the old document into the new document with bleeds already set, I think you will see the objects display in the bleed area. which is probably what the printers want to see.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

6 hours ago, firstdefence said:

if you create a document of the same size and create bleeds first, then copy and paste the contents of the old document into the new document with bleeds already set, I think you will see the objects display in the bleed area. which is probably what the printers want to see.

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply! I am using artboards, and it turns out the solution for me required 2 steps:

• Ensure my background layer (which contained the bleed image) was outside the artboard in the layers palette as described in this post.
  • Add a blank artboard to the document, which caused AD to refresh the display of the original artboard to show the content outside the bounds of that artboard. The added artboard can then be deleted.

And I was just going to comment that AD is "bleeding edge" software, but in fact, it's not! ;-)