You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pre-sale Questions: Font auto-activation,Visible bleed, Search Pantone number...

Hi, Some questions that come up while using the trial version:

1. I use Font Agent for auto-activation of fonts in Adobe CC, but it does not work with Affinity. I asked Font Agent, and they answered the following: "Unfortunately Affinity does not have an official way of letting 3rd party developers create a plug-in or some other method of making self-activation happen ...." I ask, what solution does Affinity have to have Auto Activation of Fonts?

2. How can I see the bleed lines in the document?

3. How can I find the specific Pantone number I need? I do not see a Search area to put the number I'm looking for or an option to look at the Swatches in view list with the name next to it.

4. To create a Pantone color palette, do I have to keep selecting a shape or item for the color to be available in my new palette? Or is there a way to do it like drag and drop from the Pantone Palette to my new color palette?  I have seen various videos but still not clear to me the right way to do my Pantone palette.

Thanks

• Staff

Hi Pablo,

Welcome to the forum.

At the moment our plugin support is still being developed and our devs don't have any current plan to release a plugin API for third party creators. Some users have reported some font managers (Right Font and Font Explorer.) do auto activate the fonts with our apps.

Visible bleeds are currently only available in our Affinity Publisher 1.7 beta, but they should be added to our others apps as well.

On the Swatches panel when you switch a Pantone palette, there is a search field at the bottom for you to enter a Pantone colour code. You can also change the appearance to a list if you wanted to increase the size of the panel.

You can create a Document palette, if you then switch to a Pantone palette and select a swatch, it will be added to the Document palette.

Thank for answering my questions. As soon as I have an opportunity I will continue exploring with the trial app that until now seems very good. I don't know if I'll have to postpone buying Affinity apps now because I just invested in this expensive Font Manager precisely because it has auto-activation for several apps, Umm...

• 1 month later...
On 1/17/2019 at 8:45 AM, Pablo Montes said:

Thank for answering my questions. As soon as I have an opportunity I will continue exploring with the trial app that until now seems very good. I don't know if I'll have to postpone buying Affinity apps now because I just invested in this expensive Font Manager precisely because it has auto-activation for several apps, Umm...

Totally feel your pain.The two solutions that worked for me are FontBase, which is freemium (free is likely all you need) and all my fonts show up and High-Logic MainType, which is also freemium. I use the free edition of it to load the fonts I use in a project and then they show up. NexusFont is also a good free alternative but I find it fiddly on Windows. YMMV.

On 1/16/2019 at 5:06 AM, Lee D said:

Hi Pablo,

Welcome to the forum.

At the moment our plugin support is still being developed and our devs don't have any current plan to release a plugin API for third party creators. Some users have reported some font managers (Right Font and Font Explorer.) do auto activate the fonts with our apps.

Visible bleeds are currently only available in our Affinity Publisher 1.7 beta, but they should be added to our others apps as well.

On the Swatches panel when you switch a Pantone palette, there is a search field at the bottom for you to enter a Pantone colour code. You can also change the appearance to a list if you wanted to increase the size of the panel.

You can create a Document palette, if you then switch to a Pantone palette and select a swatch, it will be added to the Document palette.

I never noticed the Pantone color search field lol *smacks forehead*

I appreciate the suggestion Pariah73, and I'm going to take a look at this Font managers. The two reasons not to change yet is that I've been organizing thousands of Fonts for many years in FontAgent 8 and I'd have to start over if I change. The other thing is that I recently changed the preference settings of Font Agent 8 and now it open like 80% of the fonts automatically. I'm trying to find out why it is that some fonts do not open automatically and others do. If I do not solve that, then I'll have to change to FontBase. Thanks again

Hello, I have a question/observation that is linked to the color management and the palettes.

Indeed, a palette called "Document" is automatically created when a pantone color is added.

If you "Create a palette from the document" it will be called "Palette" and will show the color used in the document at this moment but without the Pantone, witch is rather strange.

A permanently updated palette with all the colors used in the document would be really usefull and more reliable for prepress.

On 2/26/2019 at 4:00 PM, Pablo Montes said:

I appreciate the suggestion Pariah73, and I'm going to take a look at this Font managers. The two reasons not to change yet is that I've been organizing thousands of Fonts for many years in FontAgent 8 and I'd have to start over if I change. The other thing is that I recently changed the preference settings of Font Agent 8 and now it open like 80% of the fonts automatically. I'm trying to find out why it is that some fonts do not open automatically and others do. If I do not solve that, then I'll have to change to FontBase. Thanks again

You're welcome and I hope it helps. A small suggestion, if I may..Prune your fonts folder :)  I used to have thousands of fonts myself (i believe about 12,000) at one point and I decided to challenge myself to get rid of all but 2,500 (the limit of the free version of Maintype) and it really helped my productivity a lot. I realized I was just hoarding fonts, so I pared them all down to ones I was going to use in a project and ones I knew I was never going to use because they were horribly kerned or low resolution, etc. etc (which was 90% of them!) Suprising myself most of all, I now have 1,266 fonts. I like knowing every font that I have and that they are all high quality and I use them often.  It's been much better for the workflow and performance of programs :)  Hope your font manager works out after all!