You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Showing Fractions in AF Publisher

I write engineering articles which involve many fractions. 

In Word and other publishing programmes I can show 11/4 (One and a quarter) by using Shift Ctrl  + to raise the One and make a smaller character. This also works in AF Publisher. However I wish to use Ctrl + to make the Four, smaller and lower. this works in other programmes, but not in AF Publisher. In AFPublisher Ctrl + simply magnifies the view. How can I display (say) one and a quarter in AF Publisher?

David 

In the character palette near the bottom there is a typography section, with a fraction button to create fractions in fonts that support it (i.e. have numerators/denominators or OpenType features for generating fractions). It is the button showing 1/2 (4th from the left).

Just select the numbers and slash that should be the fraction and press that button and it should create a "proper" fraction. (The reason I call it "proper" fraction is because the one one you create with your method is actualy a "fake" fraction by using super/subscript as the numerator/denominator from your method extends beyond the caps height or baseline respectively while a "proper" fraction does not extend beyond the caps height or baseline).

image.png.61e6e0a8bf6f2b8adf584dc5a5c9f2b3.png

Sometimes a font does have numerators and denominators but using this button does not create a fraction. Then you need to open the Typography panel (Text>Show Typography or Ctrl-Shift-T) and by using the Figure Position section then manually assign "numerator" to the part before the slash and the fraction slash itself and "denominator" to the part after the slash.

image.png.ac5078f70f7dc9d8fde69746894b51b6.png

If you need to do this often with the font you are using, you can create character styles with Numerator and Denominator assigned and then apply that character style when needed. This might be easier than having the Typography panel floating on your screen all the time.

I hope this helps a bit, if you have further questions regarding this (or other Publisher things) feel free to ask.

On 1/2/2019 at 8:25 PM, fde101 said:

Once inline images are supported (hint hint to Serif team) you could also try something like this:

https://equationmaker.hokuasoftware.com

Unfortunately it seems to be Mac only.

For Windows users the following free option might be an option (though no Mac version):

http://equalx.sourceforge.net/index.html

A paid option (and free Lite versions) that is available for Windows and Mac is:
http://www.mathmagic.com/index.html

• 4 years later...