You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo subtract issue

Hello community,

so I wanted to subtract the eyes and mouth from this little ghost to make them "see through". I selected the eyes/mouth and the body, clicked subtract and then this happened (see image below).

Affinity subtracted the body instead of the eyes and mouth. It should be the other way around or am I doing something wrong? Every line there is vector drawn by myself.

GHOST LOGO flaw.jpg

Add the pieces you want to subtract from, to make a ‘Curves’ object. Add the pieces to want to subtract, making another ‘Curves’ object. Select both objects and choose the ‘Subject’ command to subtract the top one from the bottom one.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

8 minutes ago, Eℓƒяє∂ said:

Add the pieces you want to subtract from, to make a ‘Curves’ object. Add the pieces to want to subtract, making another ‘Curves’ object. Select both objects and choose the ‘Subject’ command to subtract the top one from the bottom one.

Uhm I am afraid I don't follow :/ what do you mean by curves object?

4 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Did you tried to select the other way around in opposite order and then perform a subtract operation?

Yes I tried it in every possible order. Aber es hilft trotzdem nicht :( I am beginning to think that theres something wrong with the ghost body, since I cannot subtract anything from the body at all - no matter what shape I am trying to subtract from it. If I create new shapes to test subtraction, it works perfectly fine.

Check if it's path is closed (if not, node tool and close path), further check the fill mode of that ghost (Ebene -> Füllmodus -> Alternierend/Gewunden) and if appropriate toggle there if necessary.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, littlegrasper said:

Uhm I am afraid I don't follow :/ what do you mean by curves object?

A curve (closed or not) is denoted as ‘(Curve)’ in the Layers panel. When you Boolean add two or more non-overlapping ‘Curve’ objects, you get a layer denoted as a ‘(Curves)’ object, the important point being that it’s a single layer which can be subtracted from another layer to yield an object with multiple holes.

Alfred spacer.png

What Elfred, "The Elf that can" means is...

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

You might have issues if you have an open curve upload the file and one the Affinity Elves will take a look.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Sorted it. you had two points where the paths crossed over.

Before
 Screen-Shot-2018-12-26-at-13-49-15.png

After
Screen-Shot-2018-12-26-at-13-49-32.png

Before
Screen-Shot-2018-12-26-at-13-47-52.png
After
Screen-Shot-2018-12-26-at-13-52-43.png

Paths cross at arrowed points
1440058636_ScreenShot2018-12-26at13_53_28.png.d8584ecc48c9e8f3fee38cf3c1e7ab59.png

Tada lol!
1261331620_ScreenShot2018-12-26at14_01_17.png.8fd7f25cb75e9088cd0a593fd4a72c6a.png

GHOST logo naked.afphoto Saved with history so you can jog back and forth in the history panel. Its the last part that I clicked what was going off with the path/curve

• 6 months later...

I hope you can help me! I'm brand new to this forum and to Affinity Designer, but I have made few logos and other designs in past using AI. The problem i'm running into is not being able to "hollow" out the text i'm using in my design (for a t-shirt). I created the vector image and want the text to lay over top, but hollowed out so that it's transparent and i'm able to see base color of the t-shirt through the text. When I try following steps for the subtract feature, it's ghosted out. Here's what i'm doing: selecting the text > layers > convert curves > select the base layer I want to cut through, then go up and click subtract. However, subtract is ghosted out as previously mentioned. Can someone help me? I may have missed a step, but I was working on this last night, so if I did miss a step in this post, that step didn't work either. lol. Thank you in advance! 

Like this? - Artistic Text with no fill color and just an applied contour color ...

the_shirts.jpg.b042dea6a3d44e8e7b5717d022e60c0e.jpg

the_shirt2.jpg.d967a789cd8d68a32b4fe440ff3ab15c.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 2 weeks later...

When you subtract the text from the background you’re punching a set of text-shaped holes. Each hole is an entire letter, not just its outline, so before you perform the subtraction you need to duplicate the text in order to be able to see the white outline afterwards.

A69A22C5-3D7E-41B6-9AC7-4F33279145C4.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png