You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Colour swatch inconsistency between APub and AD

In APub do the following:

1. Create a new document and create a new vector object (e.g. a rectangle). With the Fill Tool give it any gradient.
  2. In the Swatches Studio create a new Palette (e.g. document palette) and with the rectangle selected 'add the current fill to the palette'.
  3. Double click on the newly added swatch to open the Edit Fill window and move any of the sliders > the gradient is replaced by a solic colour.
  4. Click of the Edit Fill window so that it closes.
  5. Hit CTRL+Z several times > the gradient swatch does not get restored while several other steps with the rectangle do get restored.

In AD repeat the process up to #5:

Hitting CTRL+Z in AD restores the gradient within the colour swatch.

I think this should work the same way in both programms.

d.

PS: thanks goes also to @thomaso for digging this out in this thread.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Hi dominik

I've tried this in Publisher, Designer beta and Designer 1.6 and none of them change the swatch back to being a gradient after making it solid when using undo so I'm not really sure what it is you are seeing or if i'm missing something. Can you provide some screenshots just to help clarify

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

1 hour ago, Chris_K said:

I've tried this in Publisher, Designer beta and Designer 1.6 and none of them change the swatch back to being a gradient after making it solid when using undo so I'm not really sure what it is you are seeing or if i'm missing something. Can you provide some screenshots just to help clarify

Hi @Chris_K,

thanks for looking into this. It seems to be complicated (or delicate?)

I tried to create a screen recording (with ScreenToGif) that I attach here. Unfortunately it looks a little awkward (= green) in some areas. I'm not a good screen recorder :(

I recorded this in AD beta 1.7.0.188

Key is to create a new palette in the swatches panel before adding the gradient fill to it (this is unfortunately not visible in the GIF). Then I get it to work that a gradient swatch can be restored with CTRL+Zs.

undogradientchange.thumb.gif.3e4f1e3870178552e10956028eca2ee3.gif

Towards the end take a look at the History Studio.

I hope this helps!
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

42 minutes ago, Chris_K said:

HI dominik, I've manage to get the swatch to change back to the gradient on an undo in Designer, but it's doing in Publisher for me as well so I;m still not able to reproduce the issue I'm afraid

Hi @Chris_K,

I'll have to check this later in APub again.

But shouldn't this work with all palettes, not only with a newly created palette? In my test the undo only works if I add the swatch to a new palette.

d.

6 hours ago, Chris_K said:

HI dominik, I've manage to get the swatch to change back to the gradient on an undo in Designer, but it's doing in Publisher for me as well so I;m still not able to reproduce the issue I'm afraid

Hi @Chris_K,

back at the APub computer. You are right, the undo works in Designer and Publisher the same way, if the gradient swatch is added to a new colour palette.

It does not work in the other groups like 'Colours' or 'Gradients'. I am not sure if this is intended behaviour?

d.

Although looking closer into this, these palettes are applications ones so are linked to the entire app.If you do this with a new application palette you will see the same thing. It makes sense the the undo is linked to a document palette but not an application wide one as the undo is per document

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

45 minutes ago, Chris_K said:

Although looking closer into this, these palettes are applications ones so are linked to the entire app.If you do this with a new application palette you will see the same thing. It makes sense the the undo is linked to a document palette but not an application wide one as the undo is per document

Hi @Chris_K,

that is an interesting thought. It makes sense that the undo history is related to the document itself.

It seems a little strange that this leaves the application palette without an undo function. But as there is currently no application history it seems to have some logic to it :)

d.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.