You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Live filters depend on zoom

I don't know whether or not this is a bug or a mathematically necessary problem, but I just mention it anyway. In Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.0.188 and at least the previous versions 1.6.x on a German Windows 7 (64bit), the live filter's results depend on the current zoom of the image on-screen. The attached video should probably be downloaded and watched at 100% (1 pixel = 1 pixel) for best results:

1. The picture is scanned from a cooking book, so the print resolution is easily visible at 100%. Changing the zoom in such a picture of course creates lots of strange patterns appearing on screen (0:10-0:20). This cannot be avoided.
  2. In order to get rid of this, around 0:23 I use a live filter to blur the image considerably, which it does nicely. The print resolution disappears, but of course the image is not sharp anymore.
  3. Looking at this blurred image with different zooms (0:26-0:40), one can still see some moirés appearing, so it is very hard to decently judge the overall quality of the blur. It appears as if the blur was not enough to get rid of the print resolution. I leave the picture at 32.8%, because here the moirés are best noticable.
  4. Around 0:46, I combine all layers into one, which takes some time. After the combination, all moirés instantly disappear, even though the zoom wasn't changed. The moirés therefore were introduced by the live filter not doing exactly what it could do, but something else.
  5. Whatever the zoom of this combined layer, no moiré ever appears. This of course is nice and should be achieved. Unfortunately, this cannot be judged decently with the use of a live filter, because this apparently does yields results that depend on the current zoom.

It might be that the live filters, probably due to speed considerations, don't take all image information into account, but only the currently visible information, and therefore yield zoom-dependent results. If that's the case, I'm of course not happy, but at least I know that this is how it should be. If that is not an expected behaviour - well, then you have something to think about...

In case you would like to get the corresponding Affinity Photo file, please tell me how and where to send it - since it's about 50MB large, I surely get a time-out within this forum, because I only have very limited upload speed.

Andreas Weidner

Thanks for the info. This is what I suspected when comparing the high speed of the live filters with the much slower layer combining... But anyway - this perhaps is a point that should be mentioned somewhere in the help pages, e.g. under 'working with live filters'. At least I first looked there before posting, but didn't find anything.

Andreas Weidner

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.