You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Issues loading an EPS from graphic designer loading as an unprofiled doc

I have received some files from a designer in eps form. When i try to open in affinity its loading saying its assigned my working profile Greyscale D50 to this unprofiled document

Using a mac book air? what do I do to get the colours and be able to edit it. I have opened eps files before with no issue.

I am sorry I dont really understand this, can you clarify the issues abit more: 

Affinity can longer load any eps or pdf files from say another source like adobe? 

I used to to load eps files before so whats changed Or is it the software the designer is using? 

youa re saying that I need to buy use another editing software like adobe .....???

can I use a free software save them in a from that makes them usable in Affinity?

I use version 1.6.7 how will I get an upgrade or will it cost to buy one? when will the fix be done?

I'm not sure if I understood he meant that it'll apply that profile to non profiled EPS files. Maybe I am understanding it wrong, but maybe he is saying that the solution is applying in whatever was the original -or another- software, a color profile, instead of exporting without one,  and then, importing into Affinity, the Aff app would respect the externally applied color profile ? Or I need that second coffee.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

• Staff

What I meant is Affinity Photo is incorrectly assigning a Greyscale D50 profile to that EPS when you import it. There's no way to prevent Affinity Photo from doing this currently so that EPS will open as a grayscale artwork. This doesn't happen with most EPS files. Usually it imports them correctly.

I've removed the reference to third party app on my original post to prevent more confusion.

i have read all the replies on the other topic.....so there are no solutions. I have paid for some graphics work which is fine, but I can't use it.......essentially there is no fix and going forward this may or may not happen with any other eps files I pay for.

so my options are.....to buy another software to use????

You could install the free, open source Inkscape (it has also a nice bitmap to vector autotracer in it, and a great inking-brush experience) , is not an extra cost so, and allows opening and exporting in a bunch of formats. Right now I don't remember well, been a while since I was using it everyday, but I guess you could open those EPSs you purchased there, or future purchases, maybe assign to the file a basic sRGB or Adobe RGB or whatever profile, export the EPS from there. Or a PDF, or etc. Then open on Affinity Designer, do all  your project work there. You can do, IMHO, a lot more in Affinity, but it will not hurt you to have Inskscape installed as a  great companion for moments like this. There's no such thing as a perfect app in the entire commercial or open source worlds, so , is IMO a healthy habit. Meanwhile, at some point that's the sort of thing that I'd expect to get fixed, so, no big deal, IMO. Much more important is the vast difference in usability, ease of use, good UI, and features among the two(in favor of AD). Still being very good to have both installed.

About it :

https://inkscape.org/learn/faq/#what-formats-can-inkscape-importexport

https://inkscape.org

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

You can try to open those EPS files in some other tools and convert/export them then to some other by Affinity supported format (maybe SVG, PDF). - Also this Gravit Designer tool claims to can open EPS files, though I don't know how accurate it is and to what formats it can export.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2