You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

360 Panorama is being loaded as a flat image in Facebook

Hey Guys,

I am experimenting with 360 panoramas (https://www.artstation.com/gbaran/blog). When I generate one in PTGui and save it as JPEG and paste it in Facebook it is being processed as 360 Panorama. I have read somewhere that it is about Tagging. When I import that panorama to Affinity and export back as JPEG it is not being read as 360 Panorama anymore by FB. I expect Affinity removes 360 tagging somehow. Can anyone tell me is this a bug or can it be turned on somewhere?
Thanks in advance.

G.

• Staff

Hi gbaran :)

Firstly, impressive work! :D

Thanks for your report. This is likely metadata related, please try opening the export panel, then selecting More and unticking Embed metadata. Export the image and try uploading it to Facebook, does this solve the issue?

If not, please could you provide a copy of a .afphoto file that I can try exporting in our Mac beta? I note you're using Windows in your blog posts and our Mac beta (released today!) has had the metadata engine reworked and I like to test if it's fixed this issue!

https://www.dropbox.com/request/LgMl92adrE6xmABbpHtA

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Thank you very much,
I did another try and it still doesnt work. Was exporting output as JPEG file with 'Embed metadata' unticked as suggested.
I dropped '.afphoto' file to the dropbox.
But after that I did another experiment.
The process I followed was: I exported 2x 360 panoramas from PTGui. One as JPEG and one as EXR.
Jpeg loaded to FB works ok. Loaded to PS, tweaked and exported also is being read in FB as 360 panorama. When I imported JPEG into Affinity and reexported it back it was also read as 360 Panorama by FB. So it means that Affinity works fine.
I expect that exported from PTGui EXR file had never any 360 metadata so it has not been removed. But unfortunately it means that when I import any 360 EXR/HDR Panorama into Affinity Photo for tweaking it will never get 360 tagging/metadata to work in FB etc.
Is there any chance to have it added as an export feature, or maybe there is a way to add it somehow in Affinity already?
The workaround I found is to export 360 Panorama file as JPEG and EXR file from PTGui, do all tweaks I need on EXR in Affinity, export it as JPEG and copy it into the memory, next Open the exported from PTGui file which had correct metadata included and paste tweked JPEG into it, collapse layers and resave it.. and this way it works :)
Thanks in advance
GrzegorzB

• Staff

Thanks for trying and confirming that, I'll move this thread to our Feature Requests for our devs to see and consider adding this export option! :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Any progress on this? Want/need an 'export 360° panorama with injected exif code' option from the JPG advanced menu. Setting the exif metadata from the chosen view in the live projection view, including Heading/Pitch/FOV and any straightening.

I love the editing capabilities, but really want Affinity Paint as an all-in-one solution, rather than part of a multi-application process. With Adobe killing off that ability in Photoshop, your tool is billed as the best alternative.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I am new to Affinity Photo, but I am trying to create a spherical panorama that I can view in Google photos.

Affinity photo seems to generate the 360 panorama very well, but when I take it into Google photos it is not recognising it as a spherical panorama.

Is there some instruction available about how to export the Affinity panorama image so that it can be automatically recognised as a 360 spherical photo ?

thanks

Victor

• Staff

Hi @VictorK,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

I can confirm that unfortunately there are no options to inject an image with 360 metadata within Affinity Photo at this time.

If your image contains 360 metadata when imported, this will be retained provided the 'Embed Metadata' option is enabled when exporting your file.

If no 360 metadata is present before importing your file, you will need to manually add this metadata to the exported file, after editing with Affinity.

There are many different suggestions online for how to achieve this, most of which suggest using PTgui, ExifFixe, Exif Pilot - or similar apps.

https://groups.google.com/g/ptgui/c/fooHIBgS-7M

I hope this clears things up!