You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Remove white fill and plug in exact measurements of image or picture frame

Good Morning, Two questions:

1.  From the screen shot you see some rocks the tops of which are partially obscured by the frame above it, (using send to back etc is not helpful in this instance), How can I make the white space transparent within the Image frame?  Or will I have to delete all images and send them to photoshop to be saved and re-assigned as PNG files?

2. I was not able to find anywhere in publisher where I can physically type in frame width and height dimensions to an existing frame that already contains images, is this possible?

Capture.JPG

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

• Staff

Hi Chris26,
1. I'm not sure how the picture frame on top is covering the one on bottom without checking how you have structured the file (the images should only be visible inside the respective picture frames) but you can always apply an additional vector mask to the image inside the picture frames to limit their visibility. Basically you have to create a shape delimiting what you want visible in the picture frame, fill it with colour (any will do) and drag it over the image's thumbnail inside the picture frame in the Layers panel). See image below for reference.

1383844359_mask_applied_toimage.jpeg.79a88e088b3a69eb4b8b057e045a3b39.jpeg

2. You can use the transform panel for this (just make sure picture frame is selected).

Ok hopefully this demonstrates the situation alot better.  The top frame overlaps the the one below it.  If your answer is still the same as above, please could you explain what you mean I am sorry I do not understand your answer.  <<<< but you can always apply an additional vector mask to the image inside the picture frames to limit their visibility. Basically you have to create a shape delimiting what you want visible in the picture frame,>>>

Capture.JPG.559803d902f1abfc9b177d672372603b.JPG

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

13 minutes ago, MEB said:

If you are overlapping the picture frames why can't you place the one located on bottom on top? That would be the most direct way to solve the issue.

Of course that was the very first instinctive thing to try, but then the the rocks on the above left of the image become partially covered due to the White fill of the image frame. I thnk you for your response, helpful as it  is I am sorry to say that I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to explain, despite the images you just posted you know what you mean but I have no idea what you are trying to explain.  But  thankyou anyway.  If one could simply adjust the frame box slider without disturbing the image within it as IDD does, then this would never have been an issue.  Alternatively I could have altered the height of the frame by typing in slightly adjusted Millimetre dimensions and that would have also solved the problem.  So two easy fixes which I can not perform in Publisher.  Next tme I will simply make PNG files for this sort of thing then that would have prevented anythng like this, so lesson learned. 

Capture.JPG.85c15d9195d86e776068a591ded0dd4c.JPG

37 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Chris26,
Yes, I was suspecting changing the order would create a similar issue, that's why i placed a notice in my post warning that I was editing my reply. I have now added a clip explaining the use of a vector mask. Sorry the mess/unnecessary questions.

Yes the video explains it easily, thanks. However I could not replicate this, though I know what needs to be done.  If you look at the screen shot my image appears with a picture frame (birds shoreline) and an image (birds shoreline) just underneath?  In other words whichever Layer I un-tick has the same effect of dissappearing the same image with the birds and blue, it is one singleimage, no background but has two layers, this is not something I understand, so if you could tell me how I have this?  Thankyou.

• Staff

Hi Chris26,
The picture frame is just a container. When you create one from scratch with the picture frame tools it creates an empty box with a cross (diagonals) to let you know it's an empty picture frame. This container has its own layer - identified as (Picture Frame) in the Layers panel. When you drop an image over it (or use File ▸ Place with it selected) the image becomes a child of this container - so yes - a picture frame with an image always has two layers in the Layers panel: one for the container itself and another for the image within it. If you untick the image in the Layers panel is disappears from screen because you disabled the layer. If you untick the container (the picture frame layer), the image also disappears because it is a child of the picture frame (the container)- similar to what happens when you untick a group layer - all children disappear from screen. If you are wondering what the container is for, it provides more flexibility when working with images: besides using it for layout purposes as placeholders ("wireframing"), all the scaling options we provide for the image placed within a container are attributes of the container object, not the image. The container also provides different corner types and presets which are not available for regular image and pixel layers.

It's becoming clearer now.  I never saw the picture frame as a special container or as a seperate layer.  You have been very helpful.  Thankyou.  Althogh I used in-design a lot, it was only for combining photographs  with written text into booklets or business cards or similar production work, so getting to grips with publisher's workflow involves a bit more understanding than what I have been used to in IDD.  

But there was one little question, does publisher have a method by which one can go to a panel and input measurements into a pre-existing container so one may have a quick view of the dimensions instead of having to drag rulers all over the page in order to determine measurements?