Birdseye42

Variables in Affinity Publisher

A great feature of PagePlus was the ability to create variables, e.g. you could have a document which shows the "Issue Number" at the top of every page.  You could change this under Publication User Details and in the case of a multipage document changing this value once, changed it for every page in the document.  I have not been able to find this feature in Affinity Publisher.  Maybe I am not looking hard enough?

There are no user-definable fields.

However, for that specific use-case, you could put a text frame on a Master Page and put "Issue Number 5" in it and it would appear on every page you've applied the Master to. If you need to change it, just update it on the Master and it will change everywhere.

Alternatively, you might look into using Symbols, which give similar capabilities.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.499 Beta

The following are all user-definable fields and can contain "any" information

Author:
Tags:
Comments:
Title:
Revision:

You can place these fields anywhere in your document and they will be globally updated when you change them in View > Studio > Fields

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

Thank you, walt.farrell and carl123.  carl123 has given me the answer I require as I have an existing document with over 20 pages which I use over and over again.  As there is currently no Master page the user-definable fields look like the answer.  Thank you for your time, boys.