You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Flood Select Tool in Affinity Designer?

I'm looking at alternatives to Photoshop as it's very expensive and have enjoyed using Designer during the trial period, but have realised how often I used to use the 'magic wand' tool or the 'flood select' tool and am getting frustrated trying to select particular objects as it isn't available in Affinity Designer.

Even if it wasn't in the default toolbox and you had to add it for yourself, I think it would be a good idea to put it there for anyone else who may need it as I'm sure I'm not the only one.

8 hours ago, declan_j_m said:

I'm looking at alternatives to Photoshop as it's very expensive and have enjoyed using Designer during the trial period, but have realised how often I used to use the 'magic wand' tool or the 'flood select' tool and am getting frustrated trying to select particular objects as it isn't available in Affinity Designer.

Even if it wasn't in the default toolbox and you had to add it for yourself, I think it would be a good idea to put it there for anyone else who may need it as I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Hello @declan_j_m,

welcome to the forum.

Are you aware that Affinity Designer is a vector drawing program and as that not an alternative to Photoshop, which mainly works with pixels.

You might look into Affinity Photo instead. It does have various pixel selection tools, including a 'magic wand'.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

4 hours ago, declan_j_m said:

I just thought as Designer has a pixel persona and a 'selection brush tool', it wouldn't be unreasonable to also have the magic wand as an option, even if not as part of the default toolbox.

I think this is one way of Affinity to distinguish the different programs. Photo has a more elaborate toolset for pixels, while Designer has more of them for the vector. I constantly switch from one app to the other for certain purposes. It did not take long to get used to that workflow.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

I still don't see why the wand tool couldn't go alongside the selection brush tool as they do very similar jobs. The only argument I could see valid for that would be to minimise the number of tools or buttons on people's screen to keep it less cluttered, but that's why I have said it would be ideal to make it optional.

On 10/29/2018 at 11:22 PM, declan_j_m said:

I still don't see why the wand tool couldn't go alongside the selection brush tool as they do very similar jobs.

Yes it could. But I think they decided not to do it (for now) because they want to be AD different from APh.

d.

• 3 years later...
On 10/29/2018 at 12:41 PM, dominik said:

I think this is one way of Affinity to distinguish the different programs. Photo has a more elaborate toolset for pixels, while Designer has more of them for the vector. I constantly switch from one app to the other for certain purposes. It did not take long to get used to that workflow.

d.

Its too bad serif doesnt actually explain that before you purchase design!  Instead they market design as have both and the be all end all to design!  its a waste of precious coins to find out after the fact its so lacking in all areas!  Im so frustrated now.  I just tried the flood select tool in design, not a clue what its doing.  It did select the correct area, outlined it, but when i delete it? it delete everything except the dancing outline!  Now i tried to google help for how to use the tool and there is none!  It only shows help for photo.  I didnt buy photo and didnt look at it because i have no use to edit/enhance photos!  Looking deeper into photos, i find its actually just a graphic software, and should be advertised as that.  

19 minutes ago, ahnay said:

I just tried the flood select tool in design, not a clue what its doing.  It did select the correct area, outlined it, but when i delete it? it delete everything except the dancing outline!

Please see the topic you created specifically about that. Splitting the conversation into multiple topics generally will lead to confusion.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1