You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher Mac Printing to custom Page Size

I have a frustrating issue with printing to custom page sizes. This printed just fine until I had a bad install of Mojave and had to redo my computer. Now my 5.5 in x 4.25 in pages will not print properly.

I am not sure if this is an Affinity question or not but I am going to ask it in case there is a genius out there that can help me fix this. I love this new publisher and want to use it for all my work. 

I print a page that is 4.25 in x 5.5 in. When printing I set up a custom page size without any problem. When I look at the Paper Handling section the destination Paper Size shows Suggested Paper: US Letter. I have found that when this is the case, even when I don't select Scale to fit paper size, that the custom page will not print. In iStudio the suggested paper shows up as some really long number and the pages print as they should. 

I am using tray 1 on an hp laser printer. 

Thanks for all your help. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi rllawrencejr

The majority of the Mac printing is taken form the OS. Have you updaed any print drivers you may have since updating your OS as this may help things. When you say it will not print what exactly happens? Is there an error message or does it just produce a blank page?

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

I noticed when I was looking at the Presets that even though I have the Paper size set to my custom size the paper handling tab still says that the page size is letter. Under the Paper Handling tab If I click the box for  Scale to Fit Paper Size and then look in Destination Paper Size: my custom paper size does not show up there. 

Screen Shot 2018-11-19 at 11.04.05 AM.png

432232562_ScreenShot2018-11-19at11_14_06AM.png.3f7823fd5551279eab52c38d56f1cc64.png1259831410_ScreenShot2018-11-19at11_14_17AM.png.10cdd85f2c6159c6fd6986bfefc7b6dc.png

The first picture is from iStudio. The Document paper used to say "Inventory" before I had to rebuild my computer now it shows that long number but it prints correctly. I created a new preset from iStudio and saved it. The same preset Inventory-1 shows the custom page in iStudio but goes back to US Letter in Publisher.  Please keep in mind that I am not complaining, I just want to figure this out. I really really like Publisher and will purchase it whether we figure this out or not. You all have done a fantastic job with this program! Thanks

Screen Shot 2018-11-19 at 11.04.05 AM.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/13/2018 at 5:32 PM, Chris_K said:

Hi rllawrencejr

The majority of the Mac printing is taken form the OS. Have you updaed any print drivers you may have since updating your OS as this may help things. When you say it will not print what exactly happens? Is there an error message or does it just produce a blank page?

Thanks

I see the problem here, too. Though it looks a little different but even more obvious than for rllawrencejr :
I get the full list of paper sizes - my custom sizes included but unfortunately grayed out and inaccessible:

APub v206 : custom page sizes grayed-out and not accessible:

662133312_printpagesizecustomgrayed-out1.jpg.109e0eda587d5c76b04bd81555df46b1.jpg

Compare: page size option as expected, for instance working well in a text editor app:

981693699_printpagesizecustomgrayed-out2.jpg.efaf3ff649eb6045ce0af706f59b8874.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

The custom sizes from the presets are an application feature and determine the size of the final output after cropping/folding/etc.

The sizes under Paper Handling are a feature of the printer driver and determine the physical paper size that the printer is expecting.

For example, you could print two 4x5" pages on a letter size paper (8.5" x 11") with crop marks to indicate where to make cuts to get the final 4x5" pages out.  The preset / "design" size set at  the document level would be the 4x5" final page size, and the printer driver would be told to print onto letter size (8.5" x 11") paper, with other relevant settings to help Publisher figure out how to lay out the designed pages onto the physical surface.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.