The Artistic Text Tool and Frame Text Tool have the same keyboard shortcut. I'm wondering if there is a good reason for this? I hover over the Frame Text Tool and find T is the shortcut. So I hit T, go to drag out a box and find I have the Artistic Text Tool. Maybe I'm missing something here.

I do not know if it is well thought feature but you can press T twice and have text frame tool. Each T press changes text tool mode.

As soon as you press T you should see the cursor indicate which tool you've selected. As Fixx said, if you got the wrong one just press T again and you'll see it switch.

You could change the Artistic Text tool's shortcut to something else, such as shift-A, if you want.

(Note, too, in case you change that shortcut: if you're already using a particular tool, such as the Frame Text tool, and and it's not one that alternates with another tool, then when you push its shortcut key when the tool is already active you'll switch to the previous tool that you had selected. So you should check your cursor before pressing a shortcut key (and after :) ).

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

If I press T and I'm not paying attention to the cursor, I can end up typing a 't' if I press T again to change the tool. I wonder if they could change it to A for Artistic Text? I suppose that, since they use M to toggle the Rectangle, Ellipse and Round Corner tools, that having the text tools toggle too makes sense.

6 minutes ago, Bob Grahame said:

I wonder if they could change it to A for Artistic Text?

"A" is the shortcut for the Node tool. You could use shift-a.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

11 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

"A" is the shortcut for the Node tool. You could use shift-a.

Hmmm… on the Mac version, he Node Tool has no shortcut and A does nothing. This must be differences between Mac and Windows versions. Hopefully this will all get sorted out and become uniform between versions.