You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Disappearance of the thicknesses of lines related to the pressure

Hello ! 

I try to make Affinity designer my main software (in place of illustrator) and I don't master it yet ... I use to love it but I just have a problem that decreases very much the trust I has in the software :-(

(MacBook Air 2015 - MAC OS 10.10.5 - Affinity Designer 1.6.1 - tablette wacom) 

Here is the probIem. I worked all the day on a same file, mainly with one bruch with pressure. At the end of the day, I had a bug following a very long line (probably too much). The software was not responding anymore. I force the software to quit and reopen it. I see that I lost the last 20 minutes of work (time since my last backup, not surprising) but that I also lost all the thickness of my drawings made with the brush! They are all smooth and thin even though I used the thickness variation related to the pressure. I tell myself that it is perhaps a problem of display and not of data, ask for help on the French forum but nobody has any idea.

My hard drive is a bit saturated, maybe the problem comes from there? I sent the file to a friend who has a better configuration, he has the same problem.

Yesterday, I bravely redrew everything. I saved and left the software without any problem.

Today, I reopen my file, and horror! the thicknesses have disappeared again !  I'm late compared to my client, it's a disaster! I don't dare to redraw again because it will maybe not be kept ...

Someone would have a great idea before I start again in illustrator?

Many many thanks!

Hi Gabe.

Thank you for your interest ! 

I made several tests to try to understand the problem. I still don't understand but I have precisions. The problem happens when I close the file. As long as I do not close it, everything is fine. When I close it and reopen it, the thicknesses are gone.

If I copy / paste a problematic drawing into a new file, the problem is the same as my original file. It is this file that I enclose here for your test, lighter than the original. I also enclose a screenshot with, at the top, the correct drawing, and at the bottom, the problematic drawing

If I make a new drawing in a new file, no problem.

On the other hand, after lots of tests, I understood how to make the thicknesses reappear. I have to put back the original pressure profile and the original line thickness and in this way the variable line thicknesses according to the pressure reappear. BUT if I save, I leave the file and reopen it, they have disappeared again ... See the video bellow if my explanation aren't clear.

Thanks a lot for your advice ! 

Adeline

testAD

test3.afdesign

Capture d’écran 2018-10-18 à 20.29.11.PNG

Hi,adeline,

I've never had the problem you are having, but I have never altered the pressure graphs in the brushes panel. I had assumed they were system presets.

I have always used the pressure graph associated with the stroke panel. When I am using a "brush" that has pressure or velocity variables with the pencil, or vector brush, the stroke width will vary from stroke to stroke as I make them. Because my Huion tablet and styles is hard for me to control, I often have to adjust the hand drawn line weights.

What I do more often is save the pressure profiles in the stroke panel, which remain attached to the document.  Or I create a layer style. I have a number of styles that suit my uses, such as a thick stroke that tapers, or one that is heavy at both ends, or one that swells in the middle. Those are available in any document. Most often, I apply them to pen strokes, which are not made w either pressure or velocity.

A quick example:

QuickLines.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

adeline,

No, you can produce pressure effects while drawing. The pencil and the vector brush both allow a controller setting to influence both the size and opacity of strokes depending on pressure or velocity. But the nib has to have been made to accommodate that.

My tablet and stylus for the desktop does not have the best pressure response. Or at least my fingers are too clumsy now. I get better results from drawing the strokes, and modifying them from saved styles. Its not as subtle, but overall, the output is more consistent.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• 4 weeks later...