You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can "Enter" be allowed to mean "Done," etc?

I'd also like to see this happen. Pressing escape in Affinity Designer (not sure about photo) also works unusually.... it backs out of dialogue boxes without cancelling changes. Usually escape would discard changes, with Enter confirming them.

I like the way it is - you can simply leave the box open, since most of them are non-modal, and work on different design elements (e.g. with the fx-box). If it gets in your way, simply close it with Esc or with the close button. What should it cancel in this case? The changes to the last element worked on? All changes done since you opened the box? It's easy enough to use undo or the protocol to go back. Using Enter additionally to Esc would make sense, but this will come eventually anyway with the definable keyboard shortcuts that are already on the roadmap.

I agree, Esc sometimes doesn't do its standard function which is to CANCEL out of a dialogue box, and Return/Enter needs to close and ACCEPT the values in the dialogue boxes.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Interesting points about Esc vs Cancel..I hadn't thought about those.. I myself have begun using Esc quite a lot in the past year or so and never knew that it could be used to get out of so many dialogues or forms, or pop ups.

my thought on "Enter" as a way to be done with a box is more about ergo than anything else...you're in there, typing values, hands on the keyboard, to me it feels natural to hit Enter when you're done, rather than taking hands from keyboard, finding the mouse, aiming the cursor over the button that looks like it might offer a way out..

• 8 months later...

I would also like the return/enter key to "apply" or "merge" a change I just made. For example, after I change the levels or curves, I would like to hit return to "apply/merge" the change so I can then move on to my next task. This would allow keyboard use instead of finding mouse, moving mouse and clicking on merge/button.

Thanks.