You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to disable closing curve on node overlap?

I have an open curve with a sharp end point and a smooth end point. I want overlap them without closing, but it closes the curve automatically. Thus, changing the handles of the node (because it has to covert it to either sharp or smooth after closing). Is there a way to disable auto closing of the curve on node overlap?

• Staff

Hi Ouki,

Welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately there's not currently a way to change this behaviour, but it's been logged with our developer as an improvement, say to have a context toolbar option that would temporarily disable this.

In the meantime, the best workaround is to place the nodes close together, then zoom in and move them closer together, repeating this until you are happy with the overall look of the curve, as the nodes can sit very close to each other at a high zoom level and will not snap together.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Depending on what exact shape you want to end up with, I think this should work:

1. Go ahead & drag the sharp end node over the smooth one, automatically closing the shape.
2. Select the node that closed the curve with the Node tool.
3. Delete the new control handle this creates by alt/option clicking on its end point (the one that smoothed the sharp node on closing the shape).
4. With that node still selected, from the Context toolbar click the "Break Curve" action button.

You now should have an open curve with coincident start & end nodes, one smooth & one sharp. Just make sure you don't accidentally move either node back on top of the other one or this will automatically close the shape again.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank for the replies.

@R C-R I don't mind the curve being open or closed. The main problem is the node change on close. I would like to retain the shape of my curve as much as possible when overlapping.

problem.gif.8b690b65c9ab01deda9e4d3c7fbaf204.gif

My current workaround right now:

1. Close the curve

2. Alt click smooth node handle to convert it to sharp

3a. Delete sharp node that you want to move

3a.gif.a7f8085b3c0eb680b8724e269b0e2364.gif

3b. Move sharp node to the previously smoothed node (if sharp node has a handle)

3b.gif.effbdd53d491c618e344a32f4abd35ba.gif

Maybe there's an easier/faster way to do this I don't know of?

@Dan C I'll be waiting for that feature! Thanks!