Jump to content
Petar Petrenko

Asigning master pages with paragraph style?

Recommended Posts

Hi,

sometimes, when working on books with specific chapters, you have to make the page that contains the chapter text, somehow different. That's where master pages come into play. But, there is a "small" problem here. When adding/deleting text, the chapter pages move forward or backward but not the chapter master page. So, this is the reason why I ask for a new feature "assigning a master page with a paragraph style". This is well explained on this video at possitoin 20:30.
 

 


Dell Inspiron 7559 i7    Windows 10 x64 Pro
Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M )    16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx2)    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5
1TB HDD + 128 GB SSD Hard drive    UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Petar Petrenko said:

When adding/deleting text, the chapter pages move forward or backward but not the chapter master page.

That's something that was at the back of my mind too. I think I saw a post about that on the Designer forum when discussing future Publisher a long time ago.

This would really be great and would solve the problem you've raised gracefully.

Big +1 from me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Working on Books could be answered by having a Book file, both Quark offer this (for years and years) and also offered by InDesign. 

You have Master A for start of chapter, then Master B for the rest of the chapter. 

You add the chapter files to the book file via a Book Panel.

Working with a Book file alieveates this request and also many other things like

1) File coruption, losing all the book as it's all in one file

2) Easy to rearrange chapters as you can have Chapter/Section markers, for example, Chapter 7 needs to move to be Chapter 1, you move the file in the book and with the correct numbering automation added, Chapter 7 automatically changes to Chapter 1 and the remaining Chapters all renumber correctly.

3) Saves having large files of big file size count that can slow down the application and your computer

4) Book files are a must for a serious contender to Quark/InDesign or other page layout application.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Eugene Tyson said:

Working on Books could be answered by having a Book file, both Quark offer this (for years and years) and also offered by InDesign. 

You have Master A for start of chapter, then Master B for the rest of the chapter. 

You add the chapter files to the book file via a Book Panel.

Working with a Book file alieveates this request and also many other things like

1) File coruption, losing all the book as it's all in one file

2) Easy to rearrange chapters as you can have Chapter/Section markers, for example, Chapter 7 needs to move to be Chapter 1, you move the file in the book and with the correct numbering automation added, Chapter 7 automatically changes to Chapter 1 and the remaining Chapters all renumber correctly.

3) Saves having large files of big file size count that can slow down the application and your computer

4) Book files are a must for a serious contender to Quark/InDesign or other page layout application.

Thank you Eugene,

I've done a lot of books by using "Book" feature in both Quark and ID, but there are situations where you want to work in only one file. For example, a novel or poetry where you do not have heavy pictures, just some drawings to emphasize chapters or so and there is no need of such a feature.


Dell Inspiron 7559 i7    Windows 10 x64 Pro
Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M )    16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx2)    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5
1TB HDD + 128 GB SSD Hard drive    UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Thank you Eugene,

I've done a lot of books by using "Book" feature in both Quark and ID, but there are situations where you want to work in only one file. For example, a novel or poetry where you do not have heavy pictures, just some drawings to emphasize chapters or so and there is no need of such a feature.

I agree - it would be a nice feature - as too would be the book file. 

But point taken - yes, having a paragraph style linked to a master page makes a lot of sense!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.