You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Replace image" appears twice for image converted to Picture Frame

1. Place image on page
2. Layer > Convert to Picture Frame
3. Move Tool Context Toolbar show this:

1797368858_replacetwice.jpg.1b2340069f5d78d4b225e02b7d4a7858.jpg

The leftmost Replace image button adds the new image as a child of the Picture Frame layer. The rightmost one does not.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Guess the right one is  similar to a bitmap-fill in a shape and the left is clipped to the shape.
It only happens when an image is converted to a pictureframe

The built-in help says there are 2 ways to insert a picture into a picture frame:

With the picture frame selected, do one of the following:

• From the context toolbar, click Replace Image and select an image to place inside your picture frame from the pop-up menu. Drag to set the size and position of the image.
  • Click the Place Image Tool and select an image to place inside your picture frame from the pop-up menu . Drag to set the size and position of the image.

Using either of those methods with regular Picture Frame (one that has not been converted from an image layer) results in the parent-child layer clipping behavior, so I assume that is what should happen with an image converted to a Picture Frame as well.

But what seems to be happening for converted ones is even though it shows as a "(Picture Frame)" element it is still treated as an ordinary image layer. Among other things, selecting it & switching to the Picture Frame Tool fails to show the size slider, the rotate icon, the Context Toolbar corner buttons, & so on that you get when selecting a regular Picture Frame.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

8 minutes ago, MEB said:

Thanks. Issue logged to be looked at.

I seem to be getting different behaviors depending on (I think) the size of the image file. I have only tested so far with PNG images but from what I can tell, very small ones (in the 10's of KB) are more well behaved than larger ones (in the several MB or larger range).

Affinity Photo 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.