You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Japanese input mode switches at random.

Japanese keyboard input includes 3 main input modes: Hiragana, Katakana and Romaji. Roman characters are typically typed in the Romaji mode while the other two are for Japanese characters. While typing in Romaji mode, Publisher would suddenly switch to the other modes and either begin typing in Japanese characters or produce garbage text (if the font doesn't support Japanese). This has happened 3 times in one session for me, usually after typing a colon. Desired mode can be restored by switching to any other mode and going back to the one you want.

Important to note is that this only happens inside Publisher. The input mode selected in the OS remains the same and performs as intended across other applications.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hey Kryat,

I reproduced this but only after mashing the keyboard a little bit. Once it happened a third time, I started poking around the Mac shortcuts and noticed there is a shortcut which is enabled by default to change to a previous input which is  ctrl+space 

Can you check to see if this is enabled for you? It's in System  Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Input Sources. Maybe make sure there aren't any other shortcuts that might be causing this.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.