You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm running System 10.7.5, I have 582 fonts installed. In Affinity Designer, I'm able to (using the "Font" selector) choose and use any of these fonts with no problem, able to apply Outer Shadow, able to Convert to Curves, able to export PDF faithfully (even when not choosing to "Export text as curves…"), etc.

However, when I invoke the Character window, many fonts become unchoose-able and unusable from that point on (even though they are still listed in the Font chooser). Previously chosen fonts revert to Arial. If I quit and restart everything's fine again (as long as I don't use the Character window).

In Designer Beta 1.1.2.23562, these same fonts are no longer even listed -- what's going on? These are not suspicious free-download fonts, they are fonts I have used regularly (and have no problem using in Designer as described above).

Help!

I hope the fix retains the parallel structure of the Character panel following my Font Book designations, it's for me an ideal way to quickly choose fonts that I have identified as belonging to certain collections.

Hope this is useful -- keep up the good work Affinity, I love the program (and the Photo Beta, too).

Hi BrianJonesDesign,

in case you experience similar issues like me on OS X 10.7.5 you might want to have a look at the following thread:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/4109-running-through-the-font-list-with-cursor-keys/

... and the solution I found for myself:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/6428-affinity-designer-customer-beta-rc2-11223562/?p=27484

This has been a very weird issue for me, making the character panel almost unusable, while the context toolbar lists were perfectly fine. I was able to resolve the issue last week by the discovery that there is a single incompatible font on my system (Monotype Onyx, version 1.51), which caused *all* the issues I had experienced. And I did not have any suspicious free download fonts on my system as well. So it might be the case that you have incompatible fonts on your system too. I think the developers are still looking into this ...

Cheers,

Alex  :)

THANK YOU Alex!

I went to Font Book and disabled that very font -- Monotype Onyx version 1.51-- even though Font Book had "validated" it.

Sure enough, when I re-launched Designer Beta the problem was gone, the Character panel now works as I had hoped (wonderful!) and all is right with the world. You are a hero, I assume you will be getting free upgrades for life from Affinity?

Invalidating the font also improved the behavior of Affinity Designer 1.1.2 (not Beta), although Character panel does not work as it now does in the Beta version.

Thanks again, much appreciated--

--Brian

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.