You can simply create landscape pages by entering a different page size (e.g. 297 wide and 210 high for A4 landscape); There is also a ,portrait' tick box in the page size menu, that can be unticked if you want the page size to be landscape instead of portrait.

In regard of the page background, I suggest putting a full-page rectangle on the master page(s), that should work just fine.

Putting a full-page rectangle as a background would work, but it's not ideal - certainly not "fine". It makes managing the bleed that little bit more difficult. In the excellent Serif PagePlus, setting a page colour via the Page Properties dialogue was a simple way to achieve this, and I hope it is replicated in Affinity Publisher.

On 8/30/2018 at 11:40 PM, Dolly Levi said:

Putting a full-page rectangle as a background would work, but it's not ideal - certainly not "fine". It makes managing the bleed that little bit more difficult. In the excellent Serif PagePlus, setting a page colour via the Page Properties dialogue was a simple way to achieve this, and I hope it is replicated in Affinity Publisher.

I agree.

Changing the page background on a page or  on master page should be a super-easy task.

Please see how Keynote works !

page background colour should be paper. If you were to set background to colour, is it paper or print?

If you want to print coloured background you should set it as coloured rectangle.