You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Convert image to Bitmap

Will you be introducing a feature to convert photo images to bitmap?  I refer to the ability to change an image to purely Black & White (not greyscale), with options for half tones and dithering to display grey areas.  This is something I have used a lot in photoshop, to prepare images for printing .To transfer to screens or to etch.

Just found; Monotone Dither and Halftone options under Filter> Colour.  The Halftone doesnt really work, it more of an effect, even when playing with the controls. The Dither is more what I was looking for, but there are no controls to adjust it. Essentialy it is still a filter effect, rather than a conversion to Bitmap.

11 hours ago, Christee said:

Threshold will turn the image black and white, but it needs a dot pattern, as in a halftone dot or dither. 

If you export greyscale image to b&w 1-bit png or gif you get dither – actually you cannot turn it off... and no controls of course.

I ran into the same issue (in my case it's 1bit line art @ 1200ppi which I need to process), and outside of Photoshop I found that PhotoLine supports this very well: even supports 1bit layers, unlike Photoshop.

But PhotoLine doesn't work with indexed colour modes, so for that I am working with ProMotion NG. Which also supports full layers, unlike Photoshop.

Sigh. Can't have it all in one app, it seems.