You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How To Create A Perfect Lemniscate?

I no math whiz and I not sure what would make it perfect. anyway, I just quickly two teardrops turned them horizontal, changed them to curves and then combined them at the tip. Sorry, if that not acceptable. I only had 5 minutes to spare.

post-385-0-29657400-1424927082_thumb.png

Lemniscate-try.afdesign.zip

Thank you.

From what I've noticed about design in general is that you gotta think out of the box.

I would've never thought to use tear drops and converting to curves. Noticed the shape but never thought/saw of it in terms of Stroke, but only fill.

I was just going to draw a quarter of the lemniscate, then replicate, then flip, until I got a complete lemniscate. I'm pretty used to thinking of things from scratch, and ignored the shape tool box in AD.

It takes a lot of trial and error to understand curves in computer drawing. Or an innate ability with beziers, cubic beziers, quadratic curves and a bunch of other stuff I have no idea about.

One of the most interesting ways to learn about curve optimising (and therefore how they work) is to manually trace a Nike tick. It's a much more interesting thing than it first sounds to be, and will reveal much about how curves work in drawing apps.

You've gotten onto something complex, an overlapping line. That's advanced stuff, dude!

:: Pun alert

Drawing software is primitive. 

lol. I was doing some exercises I found on youtube for getting down the pen tool, such as anchoring only at peaks and valleys/vertices, and this was before I found out about AD. Do any of you guys notice that with AD, it's more free, so the snapping points aren't as on point versus Ai?

Or maybe Ai's snapping points are only so precise because you can only zoom in to a certain point while AD you can zoom in for ages, therefore, Ai snaps sooner to points. And AD assumes you to snap onto your precise point and assumes you'll zoom in farther for pixel perfection?

AD doesn't yet have a lot of the same snapping stuff that AI has.

The handles, for example, don't seem to snap to anything much at all.

Nodes, you can turn up their sensitivity to snapping in the Snapping Manager... > top slider. 8 is a little weak at high resolution on large screens. Try 16 or 24.

That pun wasn't even intended. Running errands the whole day today.

Will tweak with the lemniscates tonight. Couldn't download the photo you attached of the lemniscate sample with the color blocks in the other post you had. And thanks for the snapping manager tips. Will do that now.

• 1 month later...

I'm probably way too late with my answer, but just in case:
Go to the character overview in you Mac's menu bar (you might have to switch it on in System preferences first), type "Infinity" into the search field, click on the first character in the "Unicode name" section and you'll get presented with all kinds of that sign (depending on which and how many fonts you have installed). Use the text tool in AD, double click the sign in the character overview to insert it. Then just convert to a curve if you want to further tweak it.

Or just copy it from here and select your favourite font for it in AD:

I would love to take the credit on that fine tutorial, but unfortunately that not my work. That is the work of the great Cartoon Mike.  ;)