You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shift - option Inconsistency

Hi,

Any reason why when making shapes shift is used for contraining equal proportions while when placing images is Alt/option?

It "makes me think"(as a reference on a popular UX book) what button I should press. That needs fixing.

Thanks

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

• Staff

Hi Vlad,

We've had this discussion many times before - basically, our thinking is that objects which do have a natural aspect ratio (images, text) are by default created and resized with aspect ratio preserved, objects which have no natural aspect ratio (a shape, for example) are just created freely.

You'll notice there's a new Preferences option in this week's beta of Designer and Photo which allows you to decide if you want this behaviour or whether you want to always default to no aspect ratio lock or to forced aspect ratio lock.

Matt

Thanks for the option! It works like a charm! :)

The idea behind natural aspect ratio is nice, but it didn't worked for me. The more I do complex designs, the less I'm able to think about what kind of object I'm resizing. After months of working with AD, I still haven't learnt when to use Shift and when not. User option is a perfect solution. Thanks again.

UX/UI designer, IT analyst & consultant, Business Architect at Cool Ticket (www.coolticket.co).

MacBook Pro 13'' Early 2015, 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Apple Thunderbolt Display 27'' (2560 x 1440).

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.