You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Extreme Newb

I was wondering if there are any tutorials for the extreme new users.

I have always wanted to learn to use photoshop but it was very intimidating. I'm finally realising that it's a necessity if I want to move on as I'm finding some things lacking from Lightroom (adding text to images) 

I was very excited to see this new software just for my iMac, but I'm already frustrated not knowing the basics. 

In your opinion, should I start watching PS tutorials and convert what I've learned to this software? 

• Staff

Hello bu99er,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Yes, there's no harm in doing it, but you will find that Affinity's interface is organized in a different way and may also perform certain functions differently.

Currently we don't have many tutorials because the program can change considerably during its development phase. The documentation is also still being worked on, but all this should improve over the next months while we get closer to a stable version.

Meanwhile there's some resources already available that may help you get started: 

- we started to post some videos covering specific features on our Vimeo Channel; 

- there's also Affinity Review, our e-zine about everything Affinity - some of the tutorials and information you can find there cover common features to both programs (like the Pen Tool in the first issue)

- some users are also posting some tutorial on the Tutorials section on this forum.

You can find links to all those resources here.

Hello bu99er,

I think you would benefit from some PS tutorials on basic adjustments such as Curves, Levels, Unsharp Masking, etc. But, other things like masking, for example, are quite different in AP. I wouldn't fret, though...I'm sure that more AP specific training will become more readily available once the program hits the mainstream. My advice would be to try and learn some basic editing, play, have fun, and wait for more advanced topics down the road.

Good luck!

Best regards,

AlanH

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.