You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

possible subtract bug

Hi, I'm evaluating the beta. I think I found an instance where the subtract does not give the expected result (see attached). I created some shapes and combined them together into a compound (to provide a single base shape). I overlaid a square and did the subtract function after selecting the shapes, but in most cases, I saw some ugly artefacts around the top corners of the post-subtracted image (see attached). I also attach a sample project.Thanks.

post-7001-0-44790600-1424472519_thumb.png

test.afdesign

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm. Thanks for your effort. I wonder if some kind of fix was performed since reporting? It seems like you've 'flushed out' the issue by re-importing, making me wonder if I recreated these objects from scratch in the current beta, then perhaps the problem has gone away (particularly if a fix was applied)?

As soon as possible, I'll try to make some other shapes in a new doc with this beta to see if I can reproduce this problem.

• Staff

I think it might be something strange relating to the compound objects that were in the original document and perhaps something to do with them being transformed around a bit? These are my best guesses so far... I'm sure there are still some other issues with the boolean operations and I do intend to look at them properly after the Mac App Store version is updated. There will not be such a long gap before the Mac App Store version is updated in future, so fixing them after this update does not imply that they will only be available in beta for many months after - instead, we should be able to update it to match the beta every 6 weeks or so?

Hi Matt

I did a quick test in the RC, recreating a similar base shape & tried subtracting with a new rect shape, and it seems to be good. I also copied the base shape from an earlier file & tried a similar test, and all seems good. So hopefully all is ok now. Thanks alot for getting back to me on this issue.

@Vonster on Twitter reported something similar recently using Divide. You're likely up to speed already Matt but if you want to see his video I'll send you a mail.

Twitter: @Writer_Dale
Affinity apps run on: Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB RAM, GTX1650 Super

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.