You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Newbie question - Fills for .eps image

Hi,

I'm new to Affinity Designer and a kind of newbie to using any design programs.

I have an .eps file that has some text (maybe its a shape) in it which I'm not sure how it was created but I have imported it into a design I'm working on. I used Divide to break it up so I can see all the different parts of it in the layers panel. I want to fill the text but when I click a different fill colour, in the layers panel it shows the new colour but the image has not changed to that colour.

If you look at the screenshot I've included, you can see the "m" in the layer panel is red but the actual "m" in the image has not been filled?

Also, there is a transparent background (its white in the screenshot) which I want to get rid of but can't figure out how to do that 

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong with the fill and to get rid of the background?

Thanks

Mike

AffinityIssue.png

Hi Mike,

Brilliant, that was it!

Couple of things.

When you say, "clipped into the blue rectangle", what do you mean?

How do I get rid of the transparent (appears white in my screenshot) just to leave the blue square and letters?

Thanks for your help

Mike P

• Staff

Hi mikeprag,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Actually the M is not clipped but simply placed below the blue rectangle (immediately above it in the layer's stack) inside the main Layer - that's why you aren't able to see it.

Clipped means that an object was placed inside another object (the clipping object) - not a layer - and it's only visible inside its boundaries. Try it yourself: draw a red rectangle and a yellow circle, then drag the yellow circle layer above the red rectangle layer in the Layers panel (not over its thumbnail but over the area on the right). The yellow circle is now being clipped by the rectangle. If you move it on canvas (make sure it's layer is selected in the Layers panel) you will see that it's only visible inside the red rectangle area (see clip below).

clipping_2.gif.22e4bd3fece9f832916bf6b17b94f973.gif

To learn more about clipping and masking (another concept that's often confused with) check this video: Affinity Photo - Clipping vs Masking.

Let me know if you still have trouble understanding the difference.

To get rid of the white area, select the main layer on top of the layer stack then go to menu Edit ▸ Copy then File ▸ New From Clipboard (assuming that all your objects are inside that layer)

HI MEB,

Thanks for the explanation and the link to the video - very useful (I am working my way through the videos).

Last question though as per my earlier post...If I just want to leave the image without the transparent box behind (seen as a white box behind my blue square) so just the blue square with the lettering.

What might be the best way fo doing that as I can't see a layer for that box?

Thanks

Mike

• Staff

What you can do it set the background to transparent (menu File ▸ Document Setup..., Colour tab - tick Transparent Background) - this will make the white background disappear (you will see a checkerboard pattern meaning the background is now transparent).

If you then then export the image to a format that supports transparency like PNG or TFF to place on a webpage for example (should be a PNG in this case) the transparent parts (the corners of the rectangle) will not be visible - only the blue rounded rectangle and what's inside it.

4 hours ago, MEB said:

What you can do it set the background to transparent (menu File ▸ Document Setup..., Colour tab - tick Transparent Background) - this will make the white background disappear (you will see a checkerboard pattern meaning the background is now transparent).

If you then then export the image to a format that supports transparency like PNG or TFF to place on a webpage for example (should be a PNG in this case) the transparent parts (the corners of the rectangle) will not be visible - only the blue rounded rectangle and what's inside it.

I have done this a couple of times with the same file and the white background still remains, is there a missing step?