This is probably an easy question to answer, but for some reason I am confused. 

Does anyone have an alternative way to explain artboards? something just isnt clicking for me.  I feel like it should be an easy concept, so Im not sure if I am overthinking it? 

The way I understand it is that its like an area where if you were to be designing a brand identity, it would be where you place the business card, letterhead ...etc. So then its all in one place? 

I am doing the Workbook which is fantastic at explaining everything, but im at a loss so i must be overthinking it right? 

It's probably best not to think about what artboards are for. Just think of them as somewhere you can "do stuff". Use them for whatever you want and don't think of them as being for anything in particular.
For example, you can use some to keep reference material in, and some for different versions of your work, and others simply to hold things for possible later use, or do some experimenting in them. Create them as you need them and delete them when you no longer need them.
The examples in the documentation are just suggestions; do whatever you need to do with them.

For easy and fast explain artboard is like a piece of paper where You can do anything You need. it could be in various sizes (You can difine what You need) for example:

In one document (file) You can have artboards:

1. For business cards (85x55mm)
  2. For Letterhead (210x297mm)
  3. For logo placement (100x100mm)
  4. Whatever You need

Or just in one size to do double sided flyer (for example two artboards 210x297mm).

While You export artwork, everything You put on artboard will be exported.

I use Artboards as a tool for organising different parts of my designs, so if I have a particular shape, a shape with a texture or a logo, I can easily export them with individual export options.

I rename the Artboards to reference what is on that Artboard, so when I export the files, they adopt the Artboard name. As an example I can have Artboard1 renamed to Square, Artboard2 renamed to Left Side and Artboard3 renamed to Circle with Texture. 

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - FeedbackInstagram & Flickr