You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

KEEPING the selected layer???

Lock the layer.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

You did not say if you were using Affinity Designer or Affinity Photo but for both there are "Lock" & "Unlock" items in the Layer menu & a Lock icon at the top of the Layers panel. You must have a layer selected to lock it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I mean AP (v 1.5)

Did you got my question well? 

I do not want to Lock the layer (i want edit).

I JUST want that this layer is keeping in the side panel as the selected one - even if i click in the workspace anywhere else!

EDIT: (I have a hangover today) I mean that the layer keeps in FOCUS / the active one, does not matter where in picture i click!

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

11 minutes ago, Polygonius said:

I JUST want that this layer is keeping in the side panel as the selected one - even if i click in the workspace anywhere else!

I have to ask why you would want to do this. You can't edit a layer unless it is selected -- otherwise how would this or any other app know what you want to edit?

Affinity Photo 

No, you cant do that. Where you click decides what is in focus (or selected)

Clicking outside the layer is also how you de-select a layer, used if you want a new adjustment layer to be on the top of the stack, rather than on top of the selected layer.

Thinking about it logically, if a layer stayed selected, how would you ever be able to select anything else?

There are perhaps a few way round it, may I ask what you want to do that requires selected a layer but working outside the layer  ?

BTW You can isolate a layer by Alt plus clicking on the thumbnail, but that may not help ?

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

On 22. Oktober 2017 at 4:22 PM, toltec said:

Thinking about it logically, if a layer stayed selected, how would you ever be able to select anything else?

Easy via the side-panel!

The reason i want this focus sometimes:

In some reasons i want just a layer-selection via the side-panel. Eg, I have a small text-element in a big "workspace" with dozens of "bigger layers" and i do some actions in the color-palette or in the text-panel... and then i want to re-postion this text-layer, but i do not hit exactly, i  click 2 pixel outside - i lost the layer-focus and i have first to search and activate my text-layer maybe hidden in a group....

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!