You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I'm trying to learn some basics on digital painting, having lessons on photoshop that I can decline, for now, on affinity photo. 

However I can't seem to find a way to create a layer to smudge things in a non destructive way.

In photoshop : you have a layer, you create a new layer on top, and smudge in this layer with the option 'sample all layers' ... I don't know how to do this on affinity... I know there are some little differencies (like the preserve alpha (lock transparents pixels) on the brush tool, not on the layers... but as smudging is concerned... not found...

Thanks for your tips

• 8 months later...

On the top menu bar, go to "Layer", then scroll down to "Duplicate".

Then, in the Layers panel, you can now see that you have created a duplicate layer on which/with which to do all the non-destructive editing you may wish.

You can repeat this duplicate layer process as many times as you wish.

Hope this helps...!!

'Tis better to have a camera and not need one than to need a camera and not have one.

-----------------

In pursuit of photographic excellence.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, but that is not the same. Photoshop will place the edited parts on a separate (empty) layer, which has the advantage that you can edit those edits very easily or even apply effects. That becomes far more complicated when you're trying to do this with a duplicate layer.

Smudging by its nature is destructive, that goes for Photoshop as well, yes you can sample all layers and it will add whatever edits you make to that empty layer but only if you remember to select the sample all layers and actually have an empty layer ready. 

In Affinity Photo, you could make a selection copy and paste and edit to your hearts content, the only difference here is the general area isn't as specific as Photoshop so adding effects and post editing would be better in Photoshop. Photoshop has at least 20-25 years head start on Affinity so It's going to be interesting to see what Affinity is like in 20 years time.

Having said that at the moment I find Photoshop's smudge tool to be more intuitive and the add to an empty layer is a great feature, Photoshop's smudge seems to give a better finish, although I'd have to try and match the settings and have a better go at a smudging comparison.

I'm sure Affinity will improve and add more features as time goes on, Its exciting to see what will be added and what features will be improved. There are many people on here with some great idea for features, so the future is good for us all.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions