You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to draw on only one layer / object

Hi!

Affinity newbie here. What I'd like to do is this:

An infographic with text, images and a map of a whole country that shows things as simple colored areas (one area of the country in one color, inside that area a smaller area with a darker shade etc.). The colors on the map need to be recreated up to several times a day, so user-friendly solution necessary.

My problem:The coloring itself seems to be easy to do using a brush. But how to prevent spillovers? Possible solutions in my mind:

- The map as a separate object. Draw on map, then superimpose the map on the rest of the image.

Tried this, but the color wouldn't stick to my map. Maybe it is of a wrong type? Can I change it to an "artboard" which seemed to take the color just fine?

- A map-shaped hole in the rest of the image, that reveals the map layer below. With that one could use the brush, spill over to their hearts content, yet the spillover would be hidden by the image on top.

Any suggestions? Or am I thinking too Photoshop here?
Thanks for helping out!

You referred to "artboard," so I'm supposing you are using, Designer, not Photo. (Designer is not much like Photoshop. Its more like Illustrator, w. elements of Photoshop combined.)

You mention that the color doesn't stick to the map. From this I infer the map has been brought in as an image. While images are bitmaps like pixel layers, the application handles them differently. Pixel layers can be placed over them, but the pixels don't fuse w. the image, unless the image is turned into a simple pixel layer.

This might be good for you purposes. Create 2 pixel layers whose fills are solid colors, one for the larger area, and 1 for the smaller. Lower the opacity of the layers so the map shows thru. Place those above the map image, and lock the map layer so it can't be modified. Then the users can select each of the layers in turn, and use the flood tool (paint bucket) to re-color the layers as needed w. just by selecting a new color an clicking the tool on the already colored area. Lock everything else, so those can't be accidentally colored.

I can think of several other ways to do this, but I think from your description it might be the most appropriate way.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

if you are using designer, you could download a svg map of your country from here:

https://www.amcharts.com/svg-maps/

this way you only have to change the color of each part.

like this:

post-35341-0-05733800-1499612039_thumb.png

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma