You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Repair Tool not working on a layer, why?

O.K. I´m not a Pro in photo editing and are currently trying to understand how layers etc. are working but...

What I´m doing wrong on the attached Picture while trying to repair something in the green grass area? On the screenshot the layer mask is selected but it makes no difference when I select the Pixel layer "PlaceImage"

No Problem at all to repair something on the Background.

Thx. in advance for your Support, Michael

post-63676-0-84131200-1498720528_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi mATriX2305,

Select the top layer then go to the More menu on top (the three dots icon) and select Rasterise ▸ Rasterise. You can then use the Inpaintng Tool on that layer. You may want to drag the mask to outside that layer before rasterising it, otherwise the mask will be used during the rasterisation process too.

Thanks for your support. Using the Rasterise function it´s working.

I dragged the mask outside the layer and after using the Inpainting Tool I dragged it back again.

Now I only need to learn when it makes sense to use Rasterise as I never heard from it before

• Staff

Hi mATriX2305.

If you look at the label of the layer you were trying to inpaint - the one that wasn't working - (in small letters, all caps) above the layer's name in the Layers Studio you will see that it says Image, while the other - the background layer - where it worked says Pixel.

The difference between the two is that Image layers retain the original image data of the inserted/placed image (you have inserted this image in the document using the Place command). These layers are considered object layers. This means you can transform them (scale, rotate skew etc) without losing quality but you cannot perform any actions that affect their pixel data.

To be able to do it you have to rasterise the layer, which will convert the Image layer to a Pixel layer type (using the DPI specified in Document Setup). Pixel layers are the usual raster layers you are expecting where you can perform all type of pixel-editing/based operations - including inpainting. Hope this clears it a bit.