You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Failed to Open File" error on iPad

When in Affinity and selecting a photo to open from Photos option, I get the following random error on many of them. The only workaround I've found so far is to exit the Affinity, go to Photos, save the photo to my iCloud Drive, then go back into Affinity and open it via iCloud. Thanks--

post-63452-0-07866400-1498486327_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi D.Horton,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Please try to view the photo in Apple Photos app first then try to load it in Affinity Photo again.

Can you see the image in Apple Photos? ​Does it work/import for you after seeing the image there?

The image may not have synchronised with Apple Photos on your iPad yet/or you only have an optimised version. If it still doesn't work please check if Download and Keep Originals setting is enabled on your iPad:

go to to iPad Settings app

- select Photos & Camera on the left

- select Download and Keep Originals on the right

- if it's already selected switch to Optimise iPad Storage then back to Download and Keep Originals

Let us know how it goes.

Getting very frustrated. I store photos in the cloud and require iPad optimised storage and only want to download selected images. If I edit an image in photos I.e. the image has been downloaded, I still get failed to open message. Only way to edit in Affinty is to save image to cloud then edit. Very basic error.

Why do I not have the option to edit with Affinity in Photos extensions?

• Staff

Hi Biggles,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

We are aware of a few issues here and are fixing/improving this. Please try the next update when available (1.6.3) and let us know if you still experience issues.

If you want to participate in the Customer Beta and try the latest 1.6.3 before being released to the public check this thread.