You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cloning from one photo to another

Is there any way to use the Clone Tool between photos? That is, select a "from" location in one photo and use it on another photo?

I have tried this with both separate photos and with separate layers, but could not make it work. I know I can move a bottom layer around and cut out the section I want to clone to, but I would rather be able to control an actual clone.

Mike...

Check out James' video tutorial entitled "Clone Sources." What you're looking for is certainly possible.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Thanks for the post.

My first thought is that I was wondering what the Sources Panel was for and, not knowing, I closed it before I tried cloning. Figures ...

My second thought is that I now know why my attempt did not work. All I did was open an image, select the "from" source, switched to a second image and tried to clone. That does not work. Without the video I doubt that I would ever have figured it out.

I am going to give this a try, but in my case the photos were not taken from the same spot so this will be interesting.

Thanks again. At least this gives me a place to start. Live and learn (hopefully ...)

My pleasure, sir...

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

• 2 years later...

EDIT:

I restarted AP and reopened both images in AP and now it works... Weird. 

Not working.

I get as far as setting the source item on the source photo, but it does not do the rest!... In my case, image 1 is the main image / target image, and image 2 is the source image.  When i go to image 2 and open the sources panel, i choose clone brush tool, i double click on the source file thumbnail in the sources panel to select it, i then go to the "common"/reference item (a projector in my case) in the source image (2), and click in its center to select it.

Then, like you did, i get that tiny circle inside the source image's thumbnail (which shows where the reference item is in the source image). At this point, I get a clone preview image inside my clone brush tool's circle pointer (just like you did!).

Following your instructions, I then go to image 1's tab (clone brush tool was selected already), and then i click on the source image thumbnail in the sources panel. Nothing happens then! Meaning that, in your video, you get the preview image in your clone brush's pointer at this point. But I don't! My clone tool's circle-pointer is just transparent and shows no preview of the reference item (the projector) that I had supposedly referenced in the previous step/tab. ( I had gotten the preview image in the previous step but not in this one!).

So, it seems, that I cannot go any further!

BTW. I am using the latest available AP version. Has this process changed??

Edited by henryb
corrections

AMAZING!! :) Love this tool! :) 

In the second part of the video it shows how it's better to create a pixel layer (to fix the man being deleted). Wouldn't it be better to ALWAYS use a pixel layer for this global cloning? Meaning won't this always be the better way of doing things since you will always have the flexibility of fixing/deleting things after you've started cloning (should the need arise)? Or are there some situations in which NOT using a pixel layer for global cloning?

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.