You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Novel way of detecting edges

Here's a novel way of turning an image into a line drawing:

• Duplicate Layer
  • (Turn off bottom layer so you can see what’s happening)
  • Denoise, Luminance right up to get rid of background noise (without losing main lines)
  • Gaussian Blur, 0.5px or to taste, Blend Mode: Subtract
  • Invert
  • Levels, black up to about 70%

Because this is all dynamic, you can go back and tweak the noise, blur and levels later.

You can then blend with the background with Blend Mode: Multiply (or other Darken blend). Turn down Opacity to suit.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

Hi, Dave, once again you've come up with some fun. But, it's another tricky one so please test my results...

Original:

post-37528-0-99487600-1497634444_thumb.jpg

After the Invert step:

post-37528-0-54633300-1497634445_thumb.jpg

The final step, Levels >70 black slider, simply turned everything too dark to see and less didn't result in a line drawing either, so I didn't upload.

My denoise/luminance settings ( I left the other sliders alone)

post-37528-0-07230100-1497634446_thumb.jpg

Can you post your sample? You did all steps on the duped layer, right? Assumptions: you are using AP, you started with a photo, etc, etc.

Edit: Ah, well, maybe better to just post the file:

daves-linedraw-pecos_tx01.afphoto

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

The final step, Levels >70 black slider, simply turned everything too dark to see and less didn't result in a line drawing either, so I didn't upload.

It works fine for me as long as I ignore or reverse this step:

• (Turn off bottom layer so you can see what’s happening)

As with most of these techniques, the result can look a bit odd if you don't include a B&W adjustment.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

My adjustments attached. Nice car, by the way.

You may need to drag the adjustment layers around to get them in the right place. Assistant setting may affect this.

You can then use this for blending, for example with a Multiply (adjust with opacity) to enhance outlines. You can also mask out areas not needed.

Yes, the 'hide the bottom layer' doesn't make sense unless you have already put a blend mode on the duplicate, which I had when I was writing the notes. Oops.

Yes, B/W adjustment does help here. I did try it in my original image but that picture didn't need it.

Overall, it seems cleaner than doing a Detect Edges and also allows for non-destructive dynamic tweaking of such as blur (I used 1px in this image).

daves-linedraw-pecos_tx01-DS.afphoto

Dave Straker

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Dave, Wow! Your version of my photo came out great! Back to the drawing board to try it on a different photo. Thanks for the extra notes - they will help I'm sure.

Thanks to Alfred too!

Further tweaks you can do:

• Make it black/white (as noted above).
  • Recolour, for interesting different coloured outlines.
  • Remove white background with Blend Modes (select top pixel layer and click gear icona above it). This allows a straight overlay without blending the adjusted layer.
  • Mask areas so some has lines and some doesn't.

So attached has red outlines applied to everywhere except the car, kind of echoing the red in the car.

daves-linedraw-pecos_tx01-DS2.afphoto

Dave Straker

Further tweaks you can do:

• Make it black/white (as noted above).
  • Recolour, for interesting different coloured outlines.
  • Remove white background with Blend Modes (select top pixel layer and click gear icona above it). This allows a straight overlay without blending the adjusted layer.
  • Mask areas so some has lines and some doesn't.

So attached has red outlines applied to everywhere except the car, kind of echoing the red in the car.

You have really demonstrated some outstanding effects. Love the final with the masking and red strokes everywhere but the MINI.  :)  I'll work up a different photo and post it here.