You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Alternative for ParticleShop?

Plugins do appear to be AP's Achilles heel. Apart from some of Google's Nik collection I have had no success with any of my plugins. I can confirm that I have been unable to get particle shop to work with AP. It shows up in the filters menu but when invoked AP crashes completely. It's such a shame that AP's construction makes plugins so difficult and limited. I have seen a number of explanations for this but I find them hard to accept when just about every other photo editing app I have tried that accepts PS plugins does not suffer these problems.

I don't really know of a ParticleShop substitute although, depending on what type of ParticleShops's brushes you like, you might take a look at https://www.escapemotions.com/products/flamepainter/ .... it's available standalone or plugin.

post-9119-0-76281300-1496751218_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

My version of Corel Particleshop stopped working when I purchased Affinity Photo 2.0. The options available to me at the time were:

A) Retain a copy of Affinity Photo 1.0, in which Corel Particleshop still works. I did this, but I also did B) and C) too.

B) Create your own brushes In Affinity Photo. I create my own stylised Affinity Photo brushes (my 'Nature' and 'Atmosphere' brushes can be downloaded free on Affinity Forum)

C) Purchase Corel Painter 2023.

I've used Corel Painter for years (since version 5.0) and you'll be amazed at the number of brushes that come with it, and the Brush settings. You can make your own brushes too. I use it in conjunction with Affinity Photo, both of which I wouldn't be without. You can save as .PSD in Affinity Photo, open it in Corel Painter, do what you want to in Painter, then save and open the .PSD file in Affinity Photo and either save it as Photoshop or keep a native Affinity Photo file (Master) and use the .PSD file just for doing work in Painter and bringing it into Affinity Photo.

This option may not be available to some people. It may be too expensive. Corel Painter 2023 is £359.99 (Upgrade is cheaper). However, if you thought that Particleshop has a great selection of brushes - you pay dearly for each bundle -  most of which are either available in Painter or can be easily created in Painter). You will be blown away by the number of brushes that come with Corel Painter. It also comes with the Signature Style Brush Pack Bundle FREE (worth £173.99) when you buy a copy.

Cheapest option is A) above. 

Del

1331266436_DelNsFreeNatureBrushes.thumb.jpg.49d32e85aa94ec9fe85e7b1c4dab1938.jpg

1944765358_DelNsFreeAtmosphereBrushes.thumb.jpg.06183d5dbebea50e4fe11ea1f58da5a4.jpg