You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Different results to 'Beginners Too' tutorial - Combination Shape

Hi,

I've downloaded the Affinity Trial software for Mac and am working through the two 'Beginners' videos.

First one worked fine, but in 'Beginners Too', I get different results to those in the video when pressing the 'Alt' key and clicking the 'Add' button - to create a non-destructive Combination shape.

Rather than a combination including both shapes, the top item created with the 'Smart' Pen tool partly disappears, leaving most of the teardrop and part of the upper image. See last image below.

I've tried this four times with new files, including twice on a different machine, but get the same result each time. I really can't see what it is I'm doing wrong. Have scrolled through and searched Support Forums, but can't see anything on this.

I've attached screen shots of what's happening.

Any advice gratefully received.

post-58276-0-36734300-1493801740_thumb.png

post-58276-0-14208500-1493801752_thumb.png

post-58276-0-18405300-1493801773_thumb.png

post-58276-0-36405800-1493801784_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi Chatterer,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This is due to an issue with the smart nodes (type) used in the bigger shape. To work around this select all nodes of the bigger shape with the Node Tool (drag a marquee selection around them - press shift if necessary to add nodes individually dragging the marquee around them again), then go to the context toolbar and select Smooth (the second icon) from the Convert section to convert them from smart nodes to smooth nodes. You should now be able to perform the Add boolean operation correctly as described in the video.