You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

can no longer fill a gray layer with grayness (photo)

I've been using a layer filled with 50% gray and changing it to overlay to do dodging and burning on my photos. It's been working great, but all the sudden it's not working anymore. 

I was working on a photo today and I would:

create a new pixel layer

hit shift+f5 to fill

select grayness

move to 50%

hit apply

Nothing. The layer is just empty. The history shows that a fill happened, but nothing went onto the layer.

What's funny, is all the other colors work. If I select anything except grayness, it works. As I select colors from the RGB slider, its turns the canvas to the selected color. Then I hit apply, and my canvas is filled with whatever color I selected. But if I go to grayness, and as soon as I move the slider, the underline background image appears. And no color is shown the the swatch box. 

I can get to 50% gray with the HSL slider, then it works as normal, but the grayness option no longer works.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've closed and reopened Affinity. I've loaded up old pictures where I've used the grayness layer fill. Nothing seems to work.

Running on Mac OS 10.12.3

• Staff

Hi Benergizer,

Welcome to the Forums :)

I haven't been able to recreate this issue I'm afraid. Would it be possible for you to create a video of this issue and attach it to this thread?

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi Callum,

Thanks for the welcome, and the quick reply! 

Well, after closing everything and restarting my machine, it seems to be working now. Not sure what was causing the issue, but I guess when in doubt turn it off and back on again. lol

Glad it's working again, so I can get back to using this amazing program!

Sorry for the trouble!

B