You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

layer masking and clipping

Not sure it is a wish or misunderstood but:

- When I have a layer with a mask, I can move the mask alone, the layer+mask, but not the layer alone ??

- How can we achieve photoshop clipping mask ??

http://photoshopsecrets.tumblr.com/post/47547708733/alt-click-between-layers-to-create-clipping-mask

This is something everyone here use everyday in every single psd we do, and I can't find how to achieve this. This is really usefull for a number of reasons ...

post-28997-0-39617300-1483704163_thumb.jpg

intel i7-3930K - 32Go - SSDs | Dual screen | Running last customer beta

Win 7 Pro SP1 x64 | nVidia GTX 680 - v376.33 | intuos 3 - v6.3.15-3

Ah ok, thanks !

Have found in the help about clipping in AP, but really different than Ps and not same thing at all :(

Another very simple one ...

How do I get selection from multiple layers ??

Of course if I create a group and ctrl+click the group I get it, but totally cumbersome

ctrl+click on a layer get the selection, but ctrl+shift+click on another one does nothing, it should add the layer selection to actual selection. And ctrl+alt+click should remove it  (and ctrl+shift+alt+click should intersect !).

does my keyboard settings are sucks ? Didn't touched them

• Staff

Hi KiboOst,

I wasn't very clear in my reply above, sorry. I was referring to Layer masking in my previous post not Layer clipping.

If you want to clip a layer in Affinity Photo drag the Image layer over the rectangle shape layer (assuming you are using one to clip the image for example) in the Layers panel. If you check Lock Children, you can then move the rectangle shape without affecting the image layer clipped inside. You can place as much image layers inside the rectangle used as a clipping mask as you want. Just drag them over the rectangle shape layer in the Layers panel. Let me know if you still have trouble.

Yes but then we lost the ability/flexibility on the clipping layer itself. This is were Ps is far better (putting above layer into).

KiboOst,

Is this what you mean for what concerns the layer clipping?

http://sendvid.com/h1sm48kb

As for the multiple layer selection, I believe there's a request already but the more we are the better! :)

You can join the request in the feature request forum:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/6-feature-requests/

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

Thanks for the video, I now get it better how it work. Can be useful, I guess some decades habits needs time to get changed ;-)

Fo multiple selections, I can't understand how this isn't possible :wacko:

KiboOst, on 07 Jan 2017 - 01:54 AM, said:snapback.png

Thanks for the video, I now get it better how it work. Can be useful, I guess some decades habits needs time to get changed ;-)

Same here!

It took me a while to get used to it.

Now I must admit I think I prefer it over the PS method.

For instance, I like it that CTRL+M creates and adjustment right away, rather than a curve baked into the layer as in PS.

KiboOst, on 07 Jan 2017 - 01:54 AM, said:snapback.png

Fo multiple selections, I can't understand how this isn't possible   :wacko:

Yep! I know it's a bummer, but I'm positive about Affinity's improvements. Soon or later this will be added. After all, AP it's still version 1.5  ;)

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti

Yep! I know it's a bummer, but I'm positive about Affinity's improvements. Soon or later this will be added. After all, AP it's still version 1.5  ;)

Yes, this is how I see things. AP is very new and still a very good start, and support is listening so it's all on the right way. They just need more/better feedback from users to enhance it and make it a mature product for sure.

OT: KiboOst, this is your photography stuff?

http://www.nicolasgenette.com/us/Fovea

It's really beautiful!

And what is this?

http://www.nicolasgenette.com/photos/Fovea/2016/Noirceur-8.jpg

Stunning!

It almost looks like 3d particles as seen in Houdini and in other generative graphic.

Andrew
-

Thanks, yes it is my photography stuff.

And no, no 3d particles, my photography stuff is without any manipulation, just raw development (Lightroom) ;)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.