You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi Lindsay,

I've tested NEF files from a Nikon D610 and they load fine for me on both Mac and Windows versions of Affinity Photo. NEF files from my Nikons also load fine (D800 & D300). You you have access to any other RAW file type, do other formats such as JPEG open OK. Try downloading a few sample RAW files from this site, go to Camera Reviews, select you make and then model, when the review loads click Sample Images at the top and then scroll down the page until you come to the RAW files.

Also just make sure the camera you select in on our supported RAW list. Also are any other programs running when Affinity Photo crashes, where are the RAW files stored, if on an external drive, try moving afew to the Desktop and then opening.

For what very little it is worth, I downloaded the D610 NEF street scene photo sample from the site Lee mentioned (http://img.photographyblog.com/reviews/nikon_d610/sample_images/nikon_d610_17.nef) & had no problem opening & developing it with Affinity Photo v1.5.1 for Mac.

My iMac is not a particularly powerful one & has just 8 GB of RAM, but aside from taking ~20 seconds to load the file performance was fairly snappy.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi All,  Your efforts are appreciated.  I have enjoyed Affinity since Nov 2016 when I purchased it from the App Store.  At that time I had no issues with RAW/NEF opening and processing.  For some unknown reason my Affinity Photo Program crashes each and every time I try to open RAW/NEF files from my MacBook Pro, or from ViewNX2 program.  I have never attempted to load NEF direct from my Nikon D610 into Affinity Photo.  I have confirmed that I have the latest Firmware Updates from Nikon for both D610 and ViewNX2.  The Affinity Photo continues to crash. 

I understand your advice in relation to another program download will make no difference but I am willing to try.  I don't see any other option.  I have paid for this program that I think is great but presently fails to do what I have paid for.  This is not a scam to get another program it is however a call for assistance to rectify this unsatisfactory problem.  Kind regards

Hi Lindsay,

I've tested NEF files from a Nikon D610 and they load fine for me on both Mac and Windows versions of Affinity Photo. NEF files from my Nikons also load fine (D800 & D300). You you have access to any other RAW file type, do other formats such as JPEG open OK. Try downloading a few sample RAW files from this site, go to Camera Reviews, select you make and then model, when the review loads click Sample Images at the top and then scroll down the page until you come to the RAW files.

Also just make sure the camera you select in on our supported RAW list. Also are any other programs running when Affinity Photo crashes, where are the RAW files stored, if on an external drive, try moving afew to the Desktop and then opening.

Thanks,  Went to site downloaded nef file, closed all programs, opened Affinity Photo, selected Open nef file saved to desktop.  Crash.  I attempted to attach a jpeg of the report for you but this site wont allow the upload. 

Hi Lindsay,

Hello,

Here is the support RAW camera list, as of 1.5 (first beta):

Nikon D610

• Staff

For whatever reason the issue seems to relate to your system and not an inherent issue with the app. Try resetting the app, hold down the CTRL key and click the Affinity Photo icon and select Open, once a new window appears release the CTRL key. Now click Clear the program will continue to open.

Could you upload one of the NEF files you're attempting to open to Dropbox or something similar and provide me with a link, just so I can try opening it my system.

For whatever reason the issue seems to relate to your system and not an inherent issue with the app. Try resetting the app, hold down the CTRL key and click the Affinity Photo icon and select Open, once a new window appears release the CTRL key. Now click Clear the program will continue to open.

Could you upload one of the NEF files you're attempting to open to Dropbox or something similar and provide me with a link, just so I can try opening it my system.

Thanks mate. Done the CTRL and clear checked all boxes. Selected open and used nikon_d610_12.nef from the web site you referred me too. Crash and sent report again.

For some unknown reason my Affinity Photo Program crashes each and every time I try to open RAW/NEF files from my MacBook Pro, or from ViewNX2 program.

I probably misunderstood this, but are you saying ViewNX2 also crashes when you try to open one of your NEF files using that app? If so, this suggests something other than AP is causing the crash.

Regardless, one thing to check is if the Develop Assistant (View Menu > Assistant Manager; if needed click the "Develop Assistant..." button) is set to use the "Serif Labs" or the "Apple Core Image (RAW)" RAW Engine. Which ever one it is set to use, try the other one & see if that makes any difference.

You also might have a system level problem or an incompatible or out of date 'helper' or 'enhancement' software addition on your MacBook Pro. If you have added any software like that recently, you might try disabling it temporarily, & also make sure all such software is the latest, most up-to-date version. Running Disk Utility's First Aid on your startup drive never hurts & it might turn up some issue that needs attention. (Disk Utility is in the Applications > Utilities folder.)

Since it can be difficult to identify some issues, one thing to try is to create a temporary new user test account, log into that, & see if the crash problem continues to occur. If not, you know something in your regular user account is causing this. To create a new user account, use System Preferences > Users & Groups. Click the lock & authenticate with an admin account (probably your regular one), then click the + (plus) button. Once the test is complete you can delete that account with the - (minus) button.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I probably misunderstood this, but are you saying ViewNX2 also crashes when you try to open one of your NEF files using that app? If so, this suggests something other than AP is causing the crash.

Regardless, one thing to check is if the Develop Assistant (View Menu > Assistant Manager; if needed click the "Develop Assistant..." button) is set to use the "Serif Labs" or the "Apple Core Image (RAW)" RAW Engine. Which ever one it is set to use, try the other one & see if that makes any difference.

You also might have a system level problem or an incompatible or out of date 'helper' or 'enhancement' software addition on your MacBook Pro. If you have added any software like that recently, you might try disabling it temporarily, & also make sure all such software is the latest, most up-to-date version. Running Disk Utility's First Aid on your startup drive never hurts & it might turn up some issue that needs attention. (Disk Utility is in the Applications > Utilities folder.)

Since it can be difficult to identify some issues, one thing to try is to create a temporary new user test account, log into that, & see if the crash problem continues to occur. If not, you know something in your regular user account is causing this. To create a new user account, use System Preferences > Users & Groups. Click the lock & authenticate with an admin account (probably your regular one), then click the + (plus) button. Once the test is complete you can delete that account with the - (minus) button.

. Thanks for your post. Shaking my head but may have found issue. I looked up help and checked out supported file formats for this Version 1.5.1 and yep no NEF. Then took a photo using RAW in Nikon D610 downloaded via ViewNX2 into Affinity Photo and got error message that file format was not supported. I can only presume that my version is the issue, but again it worked previously. My basic IT knowledge is also a problem I guess. I also tried your suggestion in the view menu in Affinity Photo but could not find the options you speak of. Not sure where to from here but it's been interesting. Thanks mate

Hi again,  OK found the Develop Assistant Button and Changed to Apple etc and attempted to open NEF.  Crash!!   I am now convinced that this version on my laptop does not support RAW (NEF) image processing and again is not displayed in the Supported File Format.  I can however process jpeg files and will have to go down that track.  Disappointing, but there it is.  Thanks again for your great support. 

I am now convinced that this version on my laptop does not support RAW (NEF) image processing and again is not displayed in the Supported File Format.  

I don't understand. You said you had version 1.5.1 installed. That is the same version I have installed & as wrote earlier, I had no problems opening & developing a sample .nef file taken with a Nikon D610.

Also, as I mentioned in your other topic about this same issue, RAW support is by camera model, not by RAW file type. Lee D also mentioned earlier in this discussion that he had no problems opening sample .nef files with either the Mac or Windows version of AP, so it cannot be that the version you have installed can't open these files (from the mentioned cameras).

Affinity Photo 

Enough said but my issue remains that for some reason the version on my Mac updated recently does not support NEF files.

Have you tried other .nef samples from other cameras obtained from the site Lee mentioned? Remember, "NEF" just specifies the general class of RAW file types used by Nikon. There are dozens of variants.

Affinity Photo 

I just downloaded the same Canon EOS 100D file & opened it with AP version 1.5.1 on my iMac. I tried using both the Serif & Apple RAW engines. No crash & no problems developing it with either one.

I don't know which version of OS X you are using. I am using 10.11.6. If you are using a different version that might explain why we get such different results, but I suspect the problem is there is something wrong with your system. The suggestions I made earlier about running Disk Utility & creating a new, temporary user account may help with that if you are willing to try them.

Affinity Photo 

RC-R and Lee D,  Just wanted you both to know how much I appreciated your help and the efforts you went too with MY issue.  From the time I downloaded Affinity Photo I have really enjoyed using the program even at my basic level and of course will be singing its praises into the future.  Last night I downloaded macOS Sierra Vers: 10.12.2 and this has resolved that problem with Affinity Photo loading any and all RAW files that open.  It has of course had other consequences with different programs that are no longer supported however that is not a problem for me.

Thank you again and Happy New Year to you both.  :D

Glad to hear you have finally resolved this!  :)

Happy New Year to you too, & also to all Affinity & potential Affinity users.

Affinity Photo