You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Windows Explorer afphoto Thumbnails

I haven't use my pc for photo editing since december, so I just wanted to make a screenshot of my affinity photo file folder to show you it works. I always save photo files to edit them when needed. 
Now this folder turns up 'empty'(not accessible) I swear I could see and open everything back in december, cause that was the whole reason I was looking for a solution. I suspect it could be an update issue. I keep a very tidy update schedule. I also updated the plugins.
I think that must be the problem, because everything worked just fine a couple of months ago. I'm not a happy camper at the moment and have to look for other solutions to open the photo files thumbs. My raw files, which also are connected to affinity also wont show in explorer. They still do show in Irafanview. 

1 hour ago, Edwin de Kuiper said:

A .tif file is never a problem. A .afphoto is a problem. You are using the thumbnail option, where are your .afphoto files? 

I'm currently looking for a solution and got somewhat lucky at the first try. The program is called XNview. It's freeware for personal use and they have very acceptable rates for professional use. Download and open. Then in Tools/Settings/General check the box Show All Graphic Formats and lo and behold....it works! I can see all my files now, especially the afphoto files, which where the biggest issue. You can also connect an external editor, in this case Affinity Photo, so you can open them instantly. I didn't run into any issues yet, but the night is still young :) 

xnview.jpg

On 2/17/2021 at 12:25 PM, blueriver said:

I'm currently looking for a solution and got somewhat lucky at the first try. The program is called XNview. It's freeware for personal use and they have very acceptable rates for professional use. Download and open. Then in Tools/Settings/General check the box Show All Graphic Formats and lo and behold....it works! I can see all my files now, especially the afphoto files, which where the biggest issue. You can also connect an external editor, in this case Affinity Photo, so you can open them instantly. I didn't run into any issues yet, but the night is still young :) 

XNViewMP is a great little pieces of software. It's been recommended on this forum in the past, and I make use of it as well. 

Sadly, it is Mac-only software and will not help Windows users and those using Windows Explorer if they expect to see thumbnails.

1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

XNViewMP is a great little pieces of software. It's been recommended on this forum in the past, and I make use of it as well. 

Sadly, it is Mac-only software and will not help Windows users

Not true. The MP stands for Multi-Platform, and it runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

and those using Windows Explorer if they expect to see thumbnails.

Correct. It does not help in File Explorer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Sadly, it is Mac-only software and will not help Windows users and those using Windows Explorer if they expect to see thumbnails.

46 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Not true. The MP stands for Multi-Platform, and it runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Correct. It does not help in File Explorer.

Correct Walt. I work on a Windows 10 laptop and it runs perfectly fine.
The whole purpose for me was to find an alternative to File Explorer when working on Affinity files, so far I’m happy with this result.

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Not true. The MP stands for Multi-Platform, and it runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux

Apologies guys, and THANK YOU for the correction, @walt.farrell. The link I had took me straight to the Mac version, and I mistakenly thought it was Mac-only. 

This is actually helpful because having a Windows version may actually help address my issue with a company PC, if its installation is allowed. 

• 1 month later...

Tried the different viewers bu the seemed to make no difference i you are using one drive.

Just for info I have been having the same lack of thumbnails and use One Drive, if I create a new Affinty file and save it to a one drive location the thumbnail appears, but as soon as One Drive uploads to the cloud the thumbnail dissappears. Having recently seen a reference to a DAM called Eagle I purchased this as it was a no brainer with the cost and this was just my personal use and not with a team. They list Affinity files as being supported for thumbnails so I dragged all my files in to Eagle from my onedrive location with the result that any files with an affinity extension no longer showed the thumbnail. After a bit of experimenting and contacting Eagle support, who responded quickly, they could not understand the cause. I exported my affinity files from Eagle to a local drive and then imported them back in to Eagle and the thumbnails appeared. The thumbnails also showed in file explorer on the local drive. So definately down to Affinity and One Drive not synching.

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.