You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

how to use the pen tool in affinity photo? (can't even make a basic stroke!)

It may be worth mentioning that this tutorial is an old one & there are now four Pen Tool modes in both Designer & Photo, including a polygon mode for drawing multi-node paths connected by straight lines.

For quickly creating some kinds of irregular shapes, I sometimes use this mode to draw a jagged approximation of the shape, & then go back & select all the nodes that should be curved with a marquee select, & then click on the Smooth or Smart convert buttons in the Context toolbar. This usually gets me close enough to the desired shape that it only takes a little refinement with the Node tool to finish it.

For someone as untalented as I am, or just unfamiliar with drawing with bezier curves, this can be useful.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7